[ATTW-L] The Death of Computer Classrooms

Popham, Susan pophams at ius.edu
Tue Apr 17 17:10:11 UTC 2018

Following up on what everyone else is saying . . .  I’ve never been a big fan of Bring-Your-Own-Devices campus policies, thinking that BYOD policies allow most academic institutions to elide their responsibilities towards providing technological resources to their students.  But, over the years, most of my students, including some who are very poor, seem to have found a way to bring their own devices, and most of my students now bring a couple of devices to class.  Thus, I struggled with finding a pedagogical way to make those devices meaningful for the classroom.

One of the technology tools I’ve been (trying) to use this semester is a thing called Mersive Solstice.  I’m not even techy enough to explain how it works, but once installed in a classroom, it allows students to project from their devices—smart phones, iPads, laptops, tablets—through the single computer projector station.  This tool allows students to bring their own devices, and teachers to project their students’ in-class work, without having loads of campus-owned equipment or teacher training.  Nor do students need loads of training on devices they will never own or use outside of the classroom and outside of their own devices.  It’s really a pretty cool piece of technology, although it costs about $1500 per room.  And, no I’m not getting any kind of commission from the Mersive company in promoting this tool.

Mark, if your institution is trying to reduce its technology costs by reducing computer classrooms, I would make the case that some kinds of technologies still need to be provided by the institution—software licensing, updates on the instructional broadcasting/projection tools, many more electric outlets/ recharging stations installed, and possible collaborative technology stations (where groups of four students can work at a single computer that projects to their own table).

PS.  I see a very productive CCCC or C&W or ATTW panel proposal coming out of this discussion. Anybody up for collaborating on a proposal?

Susan L. Popham, Ph.D.

Dept. of English; composition and professional writing

Indiana University, Southeast

Writing Faculty Advisor, The Voice, the journal of the School of Arts and Letters, IUS

Editor, Programmatic Perspectives, journal of the Council for Programs in Technical and Scientific Communication