[ATTW-L] CFP: Technology Reviews for ROLE

Shelley Rodrigo shelley.rodrigo at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 20:49:38 UTC 2018

*Dear Online Teachers & Scholars, If have a few weeks left this summer and
want to squeeze out one more publication to feel productive; this is your
chance! Consider writing about that technological win (or fail) from last
academic year. I’m writing to tell you about a new journal entitled
Research in Online Literacy Education (ROLE), which is a digital journal
publishing original research and scholarship in literacy-based online
education. ROLE is part of the Global Society of Online Literacy Educators
(which you are also encouraged to join!), an international organization of
teachers, tutors, and researchers dedicated to diversity, inclusivity, and
access in literacy-based online education. We share an understanding that
the key component linking all of online education is literacy. Although
online education tends to remove the immediacy and intimacy of face-to-face
instruction, we suggest that successful teaching and learning in online
settings are more deeply connected to literacy-based concerns than to
physical presence or lack thereof (for more info on GSOLE, visit the
website at https://www.glosole.org/ <https://www.glosole.org/>).Check out
the first issue of ROLE <http://roleolor.weebly.com/contents.html>. As
editor of “Technology Reviews” section, I’d like to encourage you to submit
your work. ROLE seeks reviews of various digital media and applications
that support literacy teaching and learning in digital environments. We
desire reviews that focus on specific applications (e.g., Prezi), or even
particular functions of specific applications (e.g., commenting feature in
Google Docs). We also seek reviews that provide comparisons across a genre
or family of applications (e.g., discussion boards in different LMSs). We
ask that reviewers specifically focus on the teaching and learning of
reading and writing, defined broadly. We invite a range of lengths and
types of reviews, from short overviews of a new tool to more in depth
reviews reflecting on pedagogy and other implications. If you plan to write
a technology review, please visit our more detailed guidelines
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OMcLs3ZGnTCar1KUNFAeHlg4qdDwvKE5pWFyjMIbW5o/edit#>.Interested
in publishing a tech review in ROLE? Email me with ideas or short proposals
(300 words or fewer), and I’ll give you feedback. Also feel free to send
along a full tech review manuscript.Online Tutoring Special Issue (Early
2019)We are looking for a few tech reviews for the upcoming special issue
on online tutoring. What technologies do online tutors use to close the
transactional distance? What functions are useful in helping tutors make
sure student retain ownership and authority over their own texts? Feel free
to submit a short proposal (300 words or less) ASAP. We are looking for
full drafts of tech reviews by October 1, 2018. Reading Special Issue
Another special issue will focus on reading; obviously, the technology
reviews for this issue will need to do so as well. Some applications we
think might be interesting to review in connection with reading include: -
Texthelp’s Read & Write
<https://www.texthelp.com/en-us/products/read-write/> application (it also
has a Chrome app
<https://www.texthelp.com/en-us/products/read-write/read-write-for-google/>)-
McGraw Hill’s “Power of Process” application
<http://createwp.customer.mheducation.com/wordpress-mu/success-academy/mcgraw-hills-power-of-process-tool-3/>
in Connect- Web annotation tools like Hypothes.is
<https://web.hypothes.is/> and Annotate
<https://www.annotate.co/index.html>Don’t have ideas for what to write now?
Plan to incorporate a technology into one of your classes this fall so that
you can review it for us next year. Best, ShelleyShelley RodrigoAssociate
Director of Writing Program, Online WritingAssociate Professor, Program in
Rhetoric, Writing, and the Teaching of EnglishDepartment of
EnglishUniversity of Arizona *

Shelley Rodrigo
Twitter: rrodrigo <http://twitter.com/rrodrigo>
Website: http://rrodrigo.faculty.digitalodu.com/

"That is how innovation happens; chance favors the connected mind"
--Steven Johnson
<http://www.ted.com/talks/steven_johnson_where_good_ideas_come_from.html?utm_source=newsletter_weekly_2010-09-21&utm_campaign=newsletter_weekly&utm_medium=email>