[ATTW-L] Tom Warren obit

Anderson, Paul anderspv at miamioh.edu
Tue Aug 28 21:55:42 UTC 2018

Dear ATTW Colleagues,

Shelley Thomas sent CPTSC the notice (below) that provides a link to Tom
Warren's obituary. I don't see any note on the ATTW list, so I thought I'd
forward her message and also my own appreciation of Tom.

Paul

____________________

Thank you, Shelley, for sending this news. Tom was very important to me,
especially in my early years in technical communication—STC, CPTSC, ATTW,
and the more-or-less informal group that, for many years, helped support
the development of academic pedagogy for technical writing—for instance, by
offering workshops at NCTE and CCCC conventions. His place in the history
of technical communication is huge.

More personally, I remember Tom as a person ready to welcome newcomers,
like me. A person full of smart things to say, often in a humorous way. A
person respectful of every person—which also allowed friendly needling at
times. I remember looking at the back row when I was giving one of my first
conference papers. There were Tom and John Walters pretending to doze off
with boredom. Even when playing possum, he approached everything he did
with joy, goodwill, and enthusiasm. Although Tom has departed, his warm
smile remains.

Paul