[ATTW-L] MTPC program at Auburn University welcomes applications - Jan 15 deadline

Susan Youngblood say0001 at auburn.edu
Thu Nov 1 20:32:17 UTC 2018

Dear Colleagues,

Please forgive the cross-posting.

We are accepting applications for the Master of Technical and Professional Communication (MTPC) program in Auburn University’s Department of English. Please encourage your students to apply by January 15. Our website has further application information<https://cla.auburn.edu/english/prospective-graduate-students/> and program details<https://cla.auburn.edu/english/graduate-studies/mtpc/>.

What makes the MTPC program special: We think of the MTPC as a boutique program, one in which tight-knit cohorts get personal attention and mentoring while delving into an intense, in-depth study of the theory and practice of technical communication. Students study under five full-time MTPC faculty members who have both academic and workplace experience. Classes provide opportunities to practice document design, writing, editing, web development, and production techniques for online and print media. Furthermore, students incorporate a customizable minor they co-craft with their faculty advisor; they can focus in English if they choose, but can also select complementary studies across the university, even combining fields like management information systems and information design, depending on their backgrounds and career interests. Graduates leave with a balance of theory and practice, as well as a range of accomplishments evident in a thoughtfully crafted portfolio.

Our graduates in non-academic workplaces: In over 15 years since its inception, the MTPC program has produced a long list of successful graduates. These professionals’ have applied their degrees to develop careers coast to coast (in over 20 states and Washington D.C.) and internationally (including New Zealand and Iceland). Most of our graduates secure work in their field soon after their May graduation. Some work at large companies (e.g., Cisco, Southwest Airlines, Mercedes-Benz Inc., SAS, Raytheon, EBSCO Research), while others choose smaller companies and not-for-profit organizations. A couple even have joined together to form a design consulting firm. High-quality classes, plus the ability to customize a minor, have allowed MTPC graduates to pursue varied careers. Although a number of graduates have started in technical writing positions and then moved into senior positions, many have developed career paths in other facets of the field, as these graduates’ titles show: Communications Manager, UX Designer, Project Manager, Managing Editor, and Information Designer.

Our graduates earning PhDs: About 13% of our graduates enroll in PhD programs in technical and professional communication or allied fields like writing studies. The universities to which graduates have gone for PhD studies include Texas Tech, North Carolina State, University of Central Florida (as a Presidential Fellow), University of Minnesota, and University of Washington. A couple of others have pursued complementary degrees in project management.

Assistance and opportunities: All admitted full-time MTPC students are offered Graduate Teaching Assistantships (GTA) and full Graduate Tuition Fellowships. Our GTA stipend is $13,200 in the first year and $15,000 in the second, with additional first-year awards available for the most competitive applicants. Students gain teaching experience—past students have assisted in core literature and technical writing and have taught composition as part of their experience. In addition, students work as program assistants the first year, developing their abilities in a variety of areas related to the curriculum. Our local conference gives students a chance to meet speakers from industry and academia. We have mentored ambitious students through the publication process. The program encourages membership and participation in appropriate professional organizations. Funding for travel to conferences is available through both the department and the Graduate School.

The Auburn community: Auburn is a small, friendly, and affordable university town located on the plains of eastern Alabama, about 50 miles east of Montgomery, Alabama's capital, and 100 miles southwest of Atlanta, Georgia. Other nearby cities are Birmingham (110 miles northwest) and Columbus, Georgia (35 miles east). The Gulf Coast of Florida is about four hours away by car. Auburn enjoys a warm and sunny climate with mild winters. It has excellent health and recreational facilities. The growing cultural arts district includes the Jule Collins Smith Museum of Fine Art and the Jay and Susie Gogue Performing Arts Center.

Again, our application deadline is January 15, 2019. Please get in touch with the Director of Graduate Studies, Dr. Sunny Stalter-Pace, if you have any questions. You can reach her by email at sls0009 at auburn.edu<mailto:sls0009 at auburn.edu> and by phone at 334-844-9081.

Sincerely,

Susan A. Youngblood
Associate Professor, Technical and Professional Communication
Department of English, Auburn University (http://www.cla.auburn.edu/english/)

Coordinator, MTPC

P.S. I’d be happy to send you a short student-friendly program description upon request. Just email me at susan.youngblood at auburn.edu<mailto:susan.youngblood at auburn.edu>.