[ATTW-L] Teaching the resume

Geoff Clegg geoffrey.clegg at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 15:58:22 UTC 2018

I'm mostly business communication these days so my focus is a bit skewed.
One of the issues around the resume that I cover concerns design. Far too
many of my students use templates that get rejected by ATS (applicant
tracking systems) software. We focus on the importance of information, not
using graphical templates, and using key terms of from the job ads. We do,
however, talk about the needs of international job applications, how a
career fair resume can use different designs than one submitted
electronically, and the importance of the rhetorical value of a resume in
combination with a cover letter and interview.

Geoff

On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 9:52 AM Blackburne, Brian <bdb026 at shsu.edu> wrote:

> Hi, Mark,
>

> In addition to the useful resources posted by Rebecca and Lisa, I’ve
> observed, anecdotally, that CVs and résumés are still as important as they
> once were. In industry-related contexts, I find that potential
> clients/employers still like to see a traditional résumé, and in academic
> contexts, the CV is invariably required for applications; what’s more, many
> hiring committees are expressly forbidden from using LinkedIn or other
> social platforms to research/evaluate candidates. Such sources often hold
> information that shouldn’t be considered in job searches (e.g., sex, race,
> political affiliations, gender identity, attractiveness, etc.) and could
> potentially bias those conducting the search. I do think that we must help
> students create effective job materials across all genres/media, but I tend
> to focus on the résumé as the go-to document while helping students
> consider how their online personas may affect their searches when potential
> employers *do* google them or even ask for social-media handles as an
> explicit part of the search process.
>

> The topic is a fun one to teach. Enjoy!
>

> BB
>

> *Brian D. Blackburne, Ph.D.*
>
> (Pronouns: *he, him, & his*)
>

> *Sam Houston State University*
>
> Director | Technical Communication
>
> Associate Professor | Department of English
>
> Treasurer | Association of Teachers of Technical Writing
>
> BrianBlackburne at shsu.edu
>
> 936-294-3359
>

> *From: *ATTW-L <attw-l-bounces at attw.org> on behalf of Mark Crane <
> craniac at gmail.com>
> *Date: *Wednesday, November 7, 2018 at 8:43 AM
> *To: *"attw-l at attw.org" <attw-l at attw.org>
> *Subject: *[ATTW-L] Teaching the resume
>

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if you teach resume creation (and by extension, branding
> one's self and tools like LinkedIn) in your introductory courses, and if
> so, if you have any suggestions for doing this in a way that is supported
> by existing research.  My own sense is that resumes, although important,
> seem to be less important than they once were.
>

> We'll be collecting research about resume writing and the semantics of
> electronic resume filtering processes in class today, but I thought I would
> "drink above the horses" as it were and ask the experts as well.

*Geoffrey Clegg, PhD | Assistant Professor of English*
English Department
Midwestern State University
Wichita Falls, TX 76308
geoffrey.clegg at mwsu.edu