[ATTW-L] Teaching the resume

Derek Ross derek.ross at auburn.edu
Wed Nov 7 20:26:18 UTC 2018

Hi All:

Great thread. I’ve got a piece in Godwin Agboka and Natalia Matveeva’s book on resume design that might be of interest:

Ross, D. G. (2018). Résumé design and career advocacy in a Goodwill Career Center. In G. Agboka and N. Matveeva (Eds.), Citizenship and Advocacy in Technical Communication: Scholarly and Pedagogical Perspectives. New York, NY: Routledge. https://www.routledge.com/Citizenship-and-Advocacy-in-Technical-Communication-Scholarly-and-Pedagogical/Agboka-Matveeva/p/book/9781138560802

I overview what most of the textbooks say to do, and discuss a series of interviews, surveys, etc. from both the HR and job seeker side of things. Lots of fun charts, and some interesting stuff putting it all together with Social Network Analysis. Here’s an overview paragraph from my methods:

My intent in conducting research on perceptions of résumés was to determine where potential job seeker and potential employer expectations might differ, and to establish how technical communication professionals volunteering in career services organizations might best serve our communities. To answer my research questions, I conducted semi-structured interviews with two key personnel at a Goodwill Career Center, conducted surveys with visitors to the Career Center seeking help with résumé design, worked with Goodwill’s own research into what employers look for in effective job applications and résumés, and considered my own observations and experiences as a volunteer with Goodwill. This multi-part approach allowed me to gain a more robust picture of perceptions of resumes than if I had used only one approach with one demographic. It also allowed me to make connections between perceptions and descriptions offered by potential employers, employees, and professional communicators. (pp. 178 – 79)

Take care,

Derek

Derek G. Ross
Editor, Communication Design Quarterly<https://sigdoc.acm.org/publication/>
Department of English, 9030 Haley Center
Auburn University, AL 36849-5203
334-844-9073
http://www.derekross.com<http://www.derekross.com/>
Pronouns: he/him/his