[ATTW-L] Open positions for Writing Instructors in Nazarbayev University's School of Humanities and Social Sciences

karie pieczynski kpieczynski at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 10:36:44 UTC 2018

Dear All,

The SHSS Writing Center at Nazarbayev University is growing! We started the
new academic year with 6 new Instructors and plan to add at least 6 more in
January and an additional 9+ in August 2019. Several of our new colleagues
came to us through list servs last year, and I am hoping for continued
success in recruiting future colleagues here.

The ad will be posted on standard job sites in the near future, but as we
have a soft deadline of Sept. 20 for the January posts, I am circulating
the ad directly to the ATTW  community here. I have attached a copy of the
ad to pass along to anyone who might be interested. I am also happy to
answer questions about the post at karie.pieczynski at nu.edu.kz.

*Writing Instructor, School of Humanities and Social Sciences, Nazarbayev
University*

The School of Humanities & Social Sciences (SHSS) at Nazarbayev University
invites applications for Instructors in the Writing Center to begin in
January and August, 2019.

The SHSS Writing Center supports students and faculty across the university
by teaching writing and communication courses in the university core
curriculum, and developing a robust culture of writing across the
university.

As our university grows, we are looking for talented instructors who want
to work with motivated students and contribute to our developing program.
Successful candidates will be expected to teach first year composition, as
well as discipline or division-specific writing courses at intermediate and
advanced levels. Instructors also serve as tutors in the Writing Center,
and may teach Communication courses and/or be involved in supporting
undergraduate and graduate students and faculty across the university
through our Writing Across the Curriculum and Writing Fellows initiatives.

Instructors teach the equivalent of a 4/4 course load.

Successful applicants will possess

·    A Master’s degree in English, Rhetoric and Composition, Science
Writing, Professional/Technical Writing, Communication, or closely-related
field, or

·    A Master’s degree in an unrelated field, complemented by recognition
of excellent  writing

·    Experience teaching Freshmen Composition or Writing Intensive Courses,
and/or experience tutoring in a Writing Center;

·    Excellent communication and collaboration skills;

·    An appreciation for flexibility in a developing context;

·    An interest in continuing professional development

Preference will be given to applicants with at least three of the following:

·    5+ years of experience teaching writing at a tertiary level

·    Experience working in international settings

·    Experience supporting Graduate Student Writers

·    Expertise in teaching writing for STEM disciplines, Multimodal
Composition, or Communication courses

·    Demonstrated contributions to Writing Across the Curriculum and/or
Writing Fellows programs

This is a three-year appointment with the possibility of renewal.

Applicants should submit an application including a cover letter explaining
how they see their experience and expertise fitting the criteria listed
above, a curriculum vitae including the names of three referees, including
at least one from a recent supervisor and one from someone who can address
the candidate's teaching abilities, and a teaching philosophy that details
personal experience. Enquiries and applications should be directed to
hr.shss at nu.edu.kz. Please send all materials as attachments. Incomplete
applications will not be accepted. Only short-listed candidates will be
notified.

We are hiring candidates to begin in January and August 2019. Applications
will be accepted until the positions are filled, but applications received
by September 20 will receive fullest consideration for positions beginning
in January 2019.

Nazarbayev University was launched in 2010 as a premier national and
regional university, partnering with some of the most internationally
recognized names in Higher Education. The strategic partner of SHSS is the
University of Wisconsin-Madison. Admission to NU is highly competitive, and
the student body is selected from the top high schools throughout the
country and region. Most students participate in a foundation year program,
and thus enter the School of Humanities and Social Sciences with extensive
English language training and academic preparation. SHSS programs emphasize
student-oriented learning, with small class sizes and a low
student-to-faculty ratio of about 12:1. All classes are taught in English.

Nazarbayev University offers an attractive benefits package, including:
competitive compensation;
housing based on family size and rank;
relocation allowance;
air tickets to home country, twice per year;
no-cost medical insurance, with global coverage;
educational allowance for children.

Best,
Karie