[ATTW-L] To Use a Textbook or Not to Use a Textbook. . .

Geoff Clegg geoffrey.clegg at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 15:57:31 UTC 2019

Katrina,

We're in a similar situation just north of you at Midwestern. I've moved to
encouraging students to rent textbooks via Amazon or Chegg as they're more
affordable options. I include the prices in my syllabus. However, I believe
only three total students this semester out of my four sections purchased
the textbook.

I'm thinking the same thing and have been compiling examples, information,
etc. to teach my full semester classes without a textbook. So far my summer
sessions have been fine without a text.

Geoff

On Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 10:45 AM Hinson, Dr. Katrina <KHINSON at tarleton.edu>
wrote:

> I've been puzzling over this question for a while and thought I'd see what
> others thought. It's time for book orders to our bookstore ( both for fall
> and for summer). Each time I have to place an order for books, I'm always
> shocked by the price of the text and then knowing the bookstore is  going
> to have its own mark up. In particular, I'm questioning the need for
> technical writing textbook. I have seriously contemplated not using a
> textbook for this particular class because I'm somewhat certain that few
> students actually use it; some students can't afford it; and, good
> information is also easily available online.  I'm also thinking the only
> reason I require a textbook is because of a mental mindset that associates
> college with textbooks. Anyway, I thought I'd see what others felt about
> textbooks - to use or not use.
>
> I look forward to hearing your input.
>
> With regard,
>

> *Dr. Katrina L. Hinson *
> Dr. Katrina Hinson,
> Ph.D. Rhetoric, Writing and Professional Communication
> Assistant Professor of English
> Tarleton State University
> “progress not perfection"

*Geoffrey Clegg, PhD | Assistant Professor of English*
English Department
Midwestern State University
Wichita Falls, TX 76308
geoffrey.clegg at mwsu.edu