[ATTW-L] usability assignments

Karabinus, Alisha D akarabin at purdue.edu
Sat Apr 20 16:44:42 UTC 2019

We did a fun project last summer - our students here do a lot of collaborative work (multiple projects per semester, on average), so I had my students study the optimal platforms for asynchronous collaboration. We co-constructed a list of seven platforms for collaboration and communication (like MS Online, Google Docs, Slack, etc.), including some they hadn't much used, and each team studied three platforms. They created user profiles, surveys, study protocols and did a lot of pilots - our goal was not to conduct a full study, because it was a truncated summer class, but to walk through how to conceive and construct a study, so there was also a reflective element at the end on how to enact what they'd learned in a larger study. They really seemed to enjoy the meta-analysis of trying to uncover the best platforms to use in their own contexts instead of just defaulting to whatever was most convenient, and students were more engaged than in a typical summer course.

Alisha Karabinus
Assistant Director, Introductory Composition
PhD Candidate, Rhetoric & Composition
Purdue University

pronouns: she/her