[ATTW-L] "Black Studies, Activism & Emergence" Spark Call, Dec. 30 Deadline

dunger dunger at olemiss.edu
Mon Dec 2 16:00:59 UTC 2019

Hello, everyone.

Just sharing the call for Spark’s 2020 volume, “Black Studies, Activism & Emergence.” For this volume, we are looking for submissions that discuss Black studies’ activist origins and raise questions about how this history shapes our present and future approaches to activism and social change inside and outside academic institutions. The submission deadline is 30 December 2019. Submissions are open to scholar-activists at all levels--from UG students to faculty of all ranks. Here’s the link to the call in full: https://sparkactivism.com/volume-2-call/.

Spark is an open-access, peer-reviewed, <http://www.firstpersonscholar.com/the-case-for-the-middle-state/> publication for activist students, teachers, and researchers in writing, rhetoric, and literacy studies as well as adjacent areas of inquiry. Unlike academic journals focused on narrow disciplinary arguments, Spark provides readers with an inside view of activism and community organizing. Submission types range from approx. 2000-word columns, to 2500-word scene reports about activism in one place or through a particular campaign, to approx. 6000-word extended essays. In the 2020 call, we also ask for 1500-word retrospectives that address the lasting impact of important works in Black studies (e.g., books, articles, films, etc.). Details about the journal and submission types are available in the call and at https://sparkactivism.com/submission-guidelines/.

If you have any questions, please contact Dr. Sherri Craig at scraig at wcupa.edu<mailto:scraig at wcupa.edu> or Dr. Karrieann Soto Vega at ksotovega at uky.edu<mailto:ksotovega at uky.edu>.

Thank you for your time.

Kind regards,

Don Unger, PhD