[ATTW-L] Resource for accessible course design

Janine Solberg jlsolber at english.umass.edu
Mon Feb 4 22:03:44 UTC 2019

Thanks Lisa (and all who helped) for putting together this great resource!

One thought for a possible addition might be resources on making social
media content more accessible. (Apologies if you already have this and I
just missed it on my first skim through of the site!)

Below are some tips that come from the UMass Amherst Assistive Technology
Center (https://www.instagram.com/p/BrLn4bKBbHb/).

*LinkedIn*
> "Did you know you can add "alt text" (image descriptions) up to 120
> characters on LinkedIn? This ensures people who are blind/low vision have
> access to photo content. Currently, it only works from the web on a
> computer or mobile device, but does not work from the app on mobile devices
> yet. Thanks to Jennison Asuncion for the work you're doing to make LinkedIn
> more accessible."
>
> Video on how to add "alt text" - https://lnkd.in/edBPf2u
(enable the captions if needed/wanted).

*Instagram and Facebook*
As promised, here are videos on adding alt text to Instagram and Facebook
from your smart phone! Captions are added on these videos. You can also
view them with or without captions on YouTube.
🙌🏻
Important Note: you can also add alt text to Facebook from a computer, but
you cannot do this for Instagram. Also, when you add alt text to Instagram
and have photos automatically sent to Facebook or elsewhere, that alt text
does NOT retain!
🙌🏻
Adding alt text to Instagram: https://youtu.be/4C0JFtXUqZU
🙌🏻
Adding alt text to Facebook: https://youtu.be/tGr_a7bWshk
🙌🏻
Hope this is helpful! Now go out and engage in inclusive social media
practices. Happy alt-texting!"

Best,
Janine

--