[ATTW-L] Video resources on slide design and email communication

Joanna Wolfe jowolfe at cmu.edu
Mon Jan 7 19:13:09 UTC 2019

Colleagues:
As you are ramping up for the start of the spring semester, I wanted to share two resources from CMU's Global Communication Center that you may be interested in.

*       Designing effective slide presentations<https://youtu.be/fK0Vv2OinoM>. A 10 minute video with optional exercises students can complete as homework.  Based on research by Michael Alley and others.

*       What employers and professors wish you knew about email communication<http://youtu.be/hKlOsAEKpws?hd=1> .  A 14-minute video with optional exercises.  Based on research reported in the following study:

Wolfe, J., Shanmugaraj, N., & Sipe, J. (2016). Grammatical Versus Pragmatic Error: Employer Perceptions of Nonnative and Native English Speakers. Business and Professional Communication Quarterly, 79(4), 397-415.

Both videos were developed by CMU's Global Communication Center.  We have been using these in classes for the past year to very good success.

Joanna

Joanna Wolfe, Ph.D.
Director, Global Communication Center
Teaching Professor of English