[ATTW-L] Keywords in Technical Communication: A collection in progress

Han Yu hyu1 at ksu.edu
Fri Jul 19 18:53:25 UTC 2019

Dear colleagues,

We hope this email finds you enjoying your summer! Jonathan Buehl and I are
planning a collection titled *Keywords in Technical Communication*, and we
write to ask for your expertise, which you can share through the short
survey linked toward the end of this message.

As you may know, keywords books use mini-essays to describe, explain,
untangle, and (un)complicate terms that are key to a discipline. These
mini-essays are meant to be accessible and particularly useful to students
and newcomers to a field. Although there are excellent keywords collections
for Composition Studies (Heilker and Vandenberg, 1996) and Writing
Studies (Heilker
and Vandenberg, 2015), such a collection does not yet exist for Technical
Communication.

To identify the keywords for the collection, Jonathan and I are completing
a two-step process. First, we analyzed a corpus of 10 years’ worth of
journal publications in the field to generate an initial list. (The method
for this corpus analysis will be described in the introduction of the
collection.) As a second step, we want to collect your thoughts about the
terms on that list and any terms it may be missing.

To that end, we invite you to participate in a short survey
<https://kstate.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_25X7Laa0ecSGvhH> (to copy the
link address, please use
https://kstate.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_25X7Laa0ecSGvhH). The survey is
approved by the Kansas State University IRB (#9804). It will take
approximately 8-20 minutes to complete, depending on how much input you may
have. We deeply appreciate your help and expertise.

If you have any questions, please feel free to let us know!

Thanks again,

Han and Jonathan

Han Yu, PhD
Professor, Scientific/Technical Communication
Kansas State University
130 E/CS, 785-532-3339