[ATTW-L] PW Certificates

Lilian Mina lilian.mina at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 20:58:37 UTC 2019

Hello all,

My department is considering a Certificate in Professional Writing and I
was tasked to gather some information about the viability of such
certificate. Our department offers a traditional  English major (literature
focused) and a number of minors. We currently have a Writing and Editing
minor that requires the completion of 12 credits.The department is also
looking into adding a PW track to the major, so starting with the
certificate may be a first step towards the major track.

So here's a few questions to those of you who may have a similar program at
their institutions. If you had such a program in the past and it either
evolved into a major or was discontinued, I'd like to hear your input as
well.

   -  How long have you had a PW certificate?
   - How many credits does it include?
   - What courses does the certificate include? (we're trying to decide how
   many new courses we may need to offer if any)
   - Do you partner with another department or program to have a more
   interdisciplinary certificate? If yes, which programs? And how many courses
   does each side contribute?
   - How many TT faculty are needed to teach courses and sustain this
   certificate?
   - How viable do you think the certificate has been for students (e.g.,
   employability) and for the department (e.g., number of students)?

Feel free to respond off the list (lilian.mina at gmail.com).

Thanks for all your help.

Lilian

*Lilian W. Mina*

*, Ph.D.*Assistant Professor of English, Rhetoric and Composition
Director of Composition
Executive Board Member, Council of Writing Program Administrators
Department of English and Philosophy
Auburn University at Montgomery
Office: LA 362
Montgomery, AL