[ATTW-L] Job Posting: civic rhetoric and public/community writing

Rik Hunter rik.hunt3r at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 19:55:20 UTC 2019

If you have any questions about the position, please fee free to contact me. I’m co-chairing the search with Jenn Stewart.

Title: Assistant Professor of English
Position #: 50013236

The University of Tennessee-Chattanooga Department of English seeks to hire a tenure-track Assistant Professor in Rhetoric and Writing. UTC and especially the Department of English hopes to hire a teacher scholar with a willingness to work collaboratively and across disciplines.

The Department of English offers an undergraduate major and a Master of Arts, each with three tracks: rhetoric and professional writing, creative writing, and literature. For more information about the department, visit http://www.utc.edu/english/ <http://www.utc.edu/english/>.

Qualifications

Required qualifications for this position:
Ph.D. in Rhetoric and Writing Studies or related field of study with dedication to engaged pedagogy and strong commitment to service. Individuals who are “all but dissertation” (ABD) will be considered; however, the degree must be awarded by August 2020;

Preferred qualifications:
Research and teaching interests in civic rhetoric and public/community writing with the ability to teach courses across rhetoric and professional writing.
Candidate must demonstrate strong evidence of a productive research agenda and willingness to add to our public and professional writing curriculum by supporting the University’s initiative to expand experiential learning opportunities.
We look for demonstrated excellence in teaching as well as evidence of successful participation in collaborative and/or community projects.
Primary teaching responsibilities include civic rhetoric and community writing—those courses already existing and those to be developed by the candidate—as well as opportunities to teach a range of graduate and undergraduate courses to Freshman Composition.

Regular teaching load in the department is 3/3 for research focused faculty in a 9-month faculty position. Opportunities for summer teaching are available.

Application Procedures: Applicants must submit the following materials electronically through the UTC Faculty career site:
Cover letter/letter of interest
CV, including up-to-date personal contact information (e-mail, phone, etc.)
Unofficial transcripts
Writing Sample (approximately article- or chapter-length) and Teaching Portfolio (teaching statement; 1-2 course syllabi; 1-2 sample assignments).
Additionally, candidates will need to include names, titles, and email addresses for three (3) references on their CVs for confidential letters of recommendation to be requested.

Review of completed applications will begin on November 15th and continue until the position is filled.

https://ut.taleo.net/careersection/utc_faculty/jobdetail.ftl?job=19000001S2 <https://ut.taleo.net/careersection/utc_faculty/jobdetail.ftl?job=19000001S2>

Rik Hunter, Ph.D.
Department of English
Director of English Graduate Studies