[ATTW-L] Information on Industry Partnerships

joy robinson njoying at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 19:45:37 UTC 2019

Hi all...

Our department (English @UAH) leverages all four areas Lisa mentioned. Most
of these relationships are fostered through either our undergraduate TW
minor or our graduate certificate programs: Tech writing and User
Experience(UX). Here are a few details below.

1-- internship relationships: Our TW minor has an internship requirement.
We source internships through UAH but also through our industry connections
discussed below. For the TW and UX cert, the internship is an elective.
2-- advisory boards: We have a TW board to chime in on the course content,
provide access to jobs and mentoring, and facilitate ongoing discussions
about TW in industry. We will likely put together a UX advisory board soon.
3-- client-based projects: Our graduate certs both benefit from industry
and gov projects. We have a running tally of projects that local industry
is interested in, and we make regular requests to source additional
projects for courses/faculty that require/request them.
4-- research partnerships: Most of our research partnerships are through
our UX lab. In the lab, we foster graduate and undergraduate students and
attempt to put them to work directly on industry and other faculty research
projects and/or UX experiments. Some of this is new territory for us (the
lab has been open about 2 years) and some of it is ongoing. Some of our
examples of industry-academic projects are below:

    ---we started collecting data for a collaborative article about UX
creativity with a local company this month. One industry partner approached
us with the proposal. We cleared IRB recently.
   ---we run lunch & learns each semester to talk about various UX methods,
tech, approaches and how best to deploy.
   ---industry partners are invited to be participants, where warranted, in
various UX experiments.
   ---we provide student participants for company focused UX experiments;
we help our partners design experiments and clear IRB as well
   ---we have a proposal in the works for an edited collection about the
collaboration between academia and industry. editors will be from industry
and academia.
    ---the lab faculty serves as mentors for companies in the UAH
incubator. Through this new program, incubator companies will begin to
employ our students in their upcoming UX research studies.

Our active research partnerships have to do with the university's deep
connection to NASA and the Redstone (local army military base). Local
industry has numerous UAH grads. Therefore, our calls to form partnerships
have usually been answered. We cultivate these partnerships by putting on
workshops, lunch& learns, just-a-lunches, providing and going on tours of
facilities, and in general staying in contact.

I'm more than happy to answer questions more specifically.

Regards...

Joy Robinson, PhD
Asst Prof
New Media and Technical Writing, University of Alabama in Huntsville
Director of the VUElab
joy.robinson at uah.edu
twitter:@njoying
pronouns: she/her