[ATTW-L] Call: Grant Writing as a Rhetorical Activity

Barbara L'eplattenier bleplatt at ualr.edu
Tue Sep 10 14:13:42 UTC 2019

Hi all:

please feel free to distribute this call widely--research on grant writing
occurs in many different fields, so if you have colleagues in different
disciplines, I'd be grateful if you could pass this along.

Please feel free to email me with questions.

---

*Grants and Grant Writing as a Rhetorical Activity*

*Call for Proposals*

Approximately 1.56 million nonprofits were registered with the Internal
Revenue Service in 2015 and the nonprofit sector contributed an estimated
$985.4 billion to the US economy in 2015, composing 5.4 percent of the
country's gross domestic product (GDP). In 2017, total private giving from
individuals, foundations, and businesses totaled $410.02 billion (Giving
USA Foundation 2018), an increase of 3 percent from 2016 after adjusting
for inflation.[i] <#_edn1> Individual donors give approximately 78% of all
donations. As a result, most of the research on charitable giving has
focused on individuals, donations, and fundraising via organized events
such as a capital campaign or end of the year campaigns.

Grants and grant writing, on the other hand, have all but been ignored as
an area of inquiry. The Science of Philanthropy Initiative conference, the
only conference devoted to empirical work on philanthropy, did not have a
single panel connected to grant writing in 2018 and, in 2017, had one that
focused on how state laws affected giving. Research coming out of The Lily
Family School of Philanthropy focuses exclusively on donor-based giving
patterns (
https://philanthropy.iupui.edu/research/current-research/index.html). The
Foundation Center’s research focuses on trends in the philanthropic field.

Similarly, Writing Studies and Professional, Technical, and Scientific
Communication has failed to address grant writing as an area of possible
research. In 2009, *TCQ* published “System Mapping: A Genre Field Analysis
of the National Science Foundation Grant Proposal and Funding Process.”
(vol 19 issue 1). CCCC had a grant focused panel in 2015 as well as a
single presentation focused on the performativity of grant writing and a
grant writing workshop in 2019. The ATTW book series contains one
chapter “Teaching
Proposal Writing: Advocacy and Autonomy in the Technical Communication
Classroom” by Diane Martinez in *Citizenship and Advocacy in Technical
Communication. *Two textbooks—both in the now defunct Allyn & Bacon Series
in Technical Communication--have been published in publishers devoted
to *Writing
Studies or PTSC: **Grant Seeking in an Electronic Age* by Victoria Mikelonis
, Signe T. Betsinger, and Constance E. Kampf and *Writing Proposals*
<https://www.amazon.com/Writing-Proposals-2nd-Richard-Johnson-Sheehan/dp/0205583148/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2E7E1W0Q0PNC0&keywords=writing+proposals+2nd+edition+by+richard+johnson-sheehan&qid=1561668598&s=books&sprefix=Richard+Sheehan+%2Cstripbooks%2C159&sr=1-4>
by Richard Johnson-Sheehan.

Given the impact of grant writing on our GNP and the fact that writing
studies and professional, technical, and scientific communication students
often go into grant writing or non-profit work, this area is ripe for
exploration and development. Grant writing is an extremely high-stakes game
for those involved: for small organizations, grants are often a significant
portion of a non-profit’s budget; for the foundations, awarding money puts
their reputation on the line; and for the writer, it can mean continued
employment and existence of the organization. Yet, we know hardly anything
about grant writing as a rhetorical activity.

We invite you to help fill this gap in our research. Possible topics might
include:

·       Grant writing and reading as rhetorical activity

·       How is audience conceptualized during grant writing and /or reading

·       The performativity of grant writing/reading

·       Collaboration during the grant writing process

·       Grant writing and social justice

·       Grants and Intersectionality

·       Theory and grant writing

·       Grant writing and the PTSW curriculum

This collection is specifically aimed at helping us understand grant
writing and reading as a rhetorical activity.

Please send proposals (500 words or less) to

Barbara L’Eplattenier

bleplatt at ualr.edu

*Deadline for Proposals: November 15, 2019. Please feel free to contact me
if you have questions. *

------------------------------
*[i]* <#_ednref1> The Nonprofit Sector in Brief 2018: Public Charites,
Giving, and Volunteering.
https://nccs.urban.org/publication/nonprofit-sector-brief-2018#the-nonprofit-sector-in-brief-2018-public-charites-giving-and-volunteering

--
Dr. Barbara L'Eplattenier

*Ask me about off-campus opportunities such as a Fulbright, Rhodes, Gates,
or/and TWC internship for students!*

she / her /hers

Professor, Department of Rhetoric and Writing
Off-campus Scholarship and Fellowship Liaison
501-436-9103 | Teaching Appointment page
<https://calendar.google.com/calendar/selfsched?sstoken=UURsRGVjOU1xZFpMfGRlZmF1bHR8ZmZmNjg5ZGNlYzc2MzE1YjIwNTg1ZDJkMGU0Y2U2NWY>
| *SFL* Appointment page
<https://calendar.google.com/calendar/selfsched?sstoken=UU16WjNGZGgxcVh1fGRlZmF1bHR8OTkzNTJlMjMwNzgxMTIzMzkzODUzMGQwMjUzMjM0NGI>
 (sfl at ualr.edu)