[ATTW-L] Utah State accepting applications- Ph.D. in Technical Communication & Rhetoric and Master of Technical Communication

Avery Edenfield edenfield00 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 18:20:11 UTC 2020

Hi, folks—

[Apologies for cross-posting.] We wanted to announce that our two graduate
programs (Master of Technical Communication
<https://techcomm.usu.edu/masters/program_masters> and Ph.D. in Technical
Communication and Rhetoric <https://techcomm.usu.edu/phd/program_phd>) are
accepting applications for next year (until January 15 for the PhD or March
1 for the MTC). Please help us spread the word! Here’s the official
announcement and details:

Utah State University’s Master of Technical Communication is designed to
appeal to a broad range of students. The program is offered entirely online,
which means that students can complete all requirements for the Master of
Technical Communication degree without traveling to the campus in Logan.
Also, tuition costs for the Master of Technical Communication program are
the same for all students, whether international, out-of-state, or Utah
residents.

For students who already have a master’s degree, Utah State
University's doctoral
program in Technical Communication and Rhetoric (TCR) is currently
accepting applications (deadline: Jan. 15). Our PhD program addresses the
intersections of technical communication, rhetoric, and social justice:
e.g., recent students have studied environmental rhetoric and climate
change communication, technical communication in the Global South, and
accessible design in writing programs.

Accepted applicants are offered a Graduate Instructorship, which includes a
$20,000.00 annual salary, tuition waiver, and health insurance. Graduate
Instructors teach 1 course their first semester and 2 courses each semester
thereafter in addition to performing other responsibilities. USU provides
excellent teacher training to PhD students, and our PhD students usually
get the opportunity to teach courses in composition, rhetoric, and
technical communication before they graduate.

Our TCR program hosts the flagship journal of the field, Technical
Communication Quarterly, and PhD students can apply to serve as managing
editor in lieu of accepting a Graduate Instructorship.

We have an excellent student-to-faculty ratio, and faculty members
regularly co-publish and co-present with students. The program has a close
PhD student cohort and a stellar placement record. Utah State University is
a Carnegie Research University (High Research Activity) of 22,000 students,
located in Logan, Utah. Logan has a low cost of living, low crime rate, and
free public transit. It is in a beautiful mountain valley 80 miles
northeast of Salt Lake City, surrounded by national parks, ski resorts, and
lakes.

For more information about the program, the faculty, the curriculum, and
other topics, please see our website:http://techcomm.usu.edu

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us:

   - Avery Edenfield, Technical Communication & Rhetoric PhD program chair (
   avery.edenfield at usu.edu)
   - Keith Grant-Davie, Technical Communication & Rhetoric, English
   Department Interim Director of Graduate Studies (keith.grantdavie at usu.edu
   )

Avery Edenfield, PhD
Assistant Professor of English
Technical Communication and Rhetoric
Utah State University
Book review editor of *Communication Design Quarterly
<http://sigdoc.acm.org/publication/>*
Board of Trustees, We Own It <https://weown.it/>

pronouns: he/him/his