[ATTW-L] Invitation to Apply: PhD and MA in Composition and Rhetoric at the University of South Carolina

BROCK, KEVIN BROCKKM2 at mailbox.sc.edu
Tue Dec 8 18:56:39 UTC 2020

The Department of English Language and Literature at the University of South Carolina invites applications for the PhD and MA programs in English with a concentration in Composition and Rhetoric. Our approach to the field is distinctive in its interdisciplinarity, as our research faculty work dynamically across subfields including composition theory, histories of rhetoric, writing pedagogy, digital rhetoric and new media, critical and rhetorical theory, speech communication, and technical and professional writing. Our program provides firm grounding in rhetorical history, theory, and pedagogy with a flexibility that enables students to pursue their interests in a collegial and supportive environment focused on professionalization. Our graduate students:

  *   Benefit from an excellent faculty-student ratio, roughly 1:6
  *   Draw on the strengths and research interests of core Comp/Rhet faculty as well as rhetoricians on faculty in Speech Communication
  *   Take a variety of courses that intersect theory and practice -- recent topics courses include Genre Theory, Research, Pedagogy; Digital Rhetoric; Sound Studies and New Materialism; Style; Writing Program Administration Research and Praxis
  *   Design their own specialization areas
  *   Receive competitive teaching assistantships for a manageable course load (generally, 9 credit hours per academic year)
  *   Have a range of teaching opportunities including first-year composition (ENGL 101 and 102); instructor-designed and themed 101 and 102 courses in our Capstone Scholars Program; Advanced Writing (ENGL 460); Technical Writing (ENGL 462); Business Writing (ENGL 463)
  *   Access competitive and consistent funding for conference and research travel
  *   Access additional fellowship and supplementary funds, including the opportunity to apply for the lucrative year-long Bilinski Dissertation Fellowship from the College of Arts and Sciences
  *   Can build valuable professional experience in administrative and organization roles including Assistant Director of the First-Year English Composition program; Assistant Director of the Writing Center; elected board of our student chapter of RSA (Rhetoric Society of America)
  *   Benefit from guidance through job searches (academic, alt-ac, industry) by an expert faculty committee, including CV workshops, presentation strategies, and mock interviews
  *   Receive encouragement and mentorship toward scholarly publication in professional journals

Learn more about these opportunities and our faculty here:

PhD <https://sc.edu/study/colleges_schools/artsandsciences/english_language_and_literature/study/graduate/phd_programs/phd_comp_rhet/index.php>
MA <https://www.sc.edu/study/colleges_schools/artsandsciences/english_language_and_literature/study/graduate/ma_programs/ma_comp_rhet/index.php>
The priority deadline for applications (to be considered for funding) is January 1, 2021.

For information on, and to apply:

To the PhD program <https://www.sc.edu/study/colleges_schools/graduate_school/apply/degree_programs-application-requirements/english-phd/index.php>
To the MA program <https://www.sc.edu/study/colleges_schools/graduate_school/apply/degree_programs-application-requirements/english-ma/index.php>

Kevin Brock