[ATTW-L] Another CCCC workshop to consider!

Lydia McDermott mcdermlm at whitman.edu
Mon Feb 24 18:18:06 UTC 2020

Hello all,

It's that time of year again! Please consider registering for the CCCC
Feminist Workshop!

Building Coalition across Commonplaces
Wednesday, March 25, 2020
9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.

This year’s Feminist Workshop asks participants to explore ways of building
coalitions across commonplaces, focusing specifically on how commonplaces
function as a means for inclusion/exclusion, enabling/disabling fictions
that perpetuate oppressive systems. For decades, Chandra Mohanty has been
challenging feminists to form solidarities across geographical, political,
and intellectual borders. Informed by the feminist values of decentered
leadership and plural perspectives, coalitions can accommodate difference
through a shared sense of purpose. But as Karma Chávez observes, “because
coalescing cannot be taken for granted, it requires constant work if it is
to endure” (8). To this end, this workshop explores how to build and
sustain coalitions as teachers, administrators, researchers, scholars, and
community members.

Specifically, we ask: how do we coalesce with other groups working toward
social justice? How can we create coalitions to dismantle oppressive
commonplaces? What are some of our productive shared values and knowledge?
How can we work with each other and with other scholars in rhetoric and
across disciplines to create coalitions that endure? As feminists in the
field of composition-rhetoric, we consider these questions central to the
various work we do.

This day-long workshop will feature morning and afternoon panels, followed
by break-out discussion groups and a rotation of interactive exercises.

Our panelists follow:

   - Cheryl Glenn: "Rhetorical Feminism, A Commonplace"

   - Lana Oweidat: "Can We Do Better? Forging Unlikely Coalitions and
   Challenging the Neoliberal Landscape"

   - Joyce Rain Anderson: "Bringing the World into Balance: Indigenous
   Women and the Four Rs"

   - Aja Martinez: "The Craft of Critical Race Counterstory"

   - Margaret Price: "Accountability: A Topos, A Practice, A Form of Hope"

   - Eileen Schell: "Building Coalitions Through Community Writing Groups"

Please consider joining us for a day of critical conversation and
coalition-building!

Best,
Lydia

*Lydia McDermott*
Associate Professor and Chair of Rhetoric, Writing, and Public Discourse
Director of the Center for Writing and Speaking (COWS)
First-Year Writing Coordinator
*Whitman College*

she/her/hers pronouns