[ATTW-L] mobile-friendly documentation in the introductory tech comm course

Joseph Robertshaw jwr0015 at uah.edu
Wed Jan 8 15:43:27 UTC 2020

 Hello Mark,
Speaking from a workflow management angle we have been using Trello on
occasion to keep groups and projects together. Trello allows the labor and
writing to be spread out and directed. My students have started to compose
some of their notes, field notes, reports, meeting minutes, and
communications in there directly on the Trello cards. Later they assemble
the phone/pad generated data in a sandbox (Google docs, Canvas LMS, Slack,
etc.) sometimes linked through Trello. These sandbox assemblages serve as
working documents and then they finalize them in the traditional formats
for shipping.

This works exceptionally well for field work as all sorts of media can be
gathered and deposited in addition to the text that they generate (e.g.
Worksite plans, progress/observation photos, sound recordings, GPS data,
live verbal survey responses).

So, no not on the back end in the way of finished documents . . . BUT there
are vast unexplored avenues on the front end:

   - legwork
   - data gathering
   - background data storage
   - logistics
   - request for assistance
   - workflow management
   - progress annotation

 Conjecture: I see this as integrated writing and research which may be
necessary for my students who chose to work for smaller companies or
freelance. It may even be the future for financially driven companies to
seek writers who can do more.

The cellphone isn't quite a Star Trek tricorder yet but it is getting
closer.
(If you don't believe me check this app out:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lpellis.sensorlab&hl=en_US
)

I hope this is useful in some way.
Best,