[ATTW-L] [EXTERNAL] Re: mobile-friendly documentation in the introductory tech comm course

Bennett, Jeanetta G. jbennett at wtamu.edu
Wed Jan 8 17:39:58 UTC 2020

I’ve used several formats for assignments and would be happy to brainstorm off list and share war stories and benefits, if you’d like. Here are a few things I’ve done:

1.      Infographic ( of a resume, reading, or research topic)

2.      Online profile, like Linked In or a prototype/mockup in MS Word

3.      Using google drive/slides and MS PowerPoint app to open prototypes in PowerPoint on the phone so they act like an app

4.      Digital wireframe using MS PowerPoint

5.      Early storyboards and paper prototypes of assignments during development

6.      Web page (using free services like WordPress, wix, weebly, etc.)

In my experience, it’s best to try one new format per semester so your prep is not so overwhelming and so you can learn how you will grade it. I find that grading expectations change with the technology/context/delivery because, of course, it changes content, design, etc.

My students have given a lot of positive feedback about my use of different technologies and genres in the classroom. It is often the main benefits they point out in course feedback. I find it is easier to make rhetorical choices explicit when switching between technologies/delivery formats.

Hope this helps,

Jeannie Bennett