[ATTW-L] CFP - Grassroots Activisms Edited Collection

Phillips, Lisa Lisa.Phillips at ttu.edu
Wed Jun 17 17:06:48 UTC 2020

Hello,

We’re excited to share the CFP for a new edited collection on the rhetorics of grassroots activisms. Below is an overview of the collection. The full CFP is attached as a PDF and can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mfKIHJ0kCs0daDO-GkMyzZ4LzWeCQiPEsj6Ef2ETfao/edit?usp=sharing. Proposals will be accepted until September 1, 2020.

Overview: From large-scale national/international marches, boycotts, protests, and social media hashtag movements to smaller localized demonstrations, petition drives, sewing/knitting/making or “die-in” sessions, people employ a wide range of activist methods to raise awareness and attempt to bring change in the face of injustice or oppression. We often witness how such activisms unfold in powerful ways in mass settings as they are covered by global media (such as #BlackLivesMatter, the Arab Spring, the Occupy Movement, #MeToo, Women’s Marches, and climate strikes). It’s less common to recognize, much less celebrate, how such activisms unfold in smaller-scale local contexts (for example, activisms that take place in city halls, homeless shelters, church basements,  border camps, and schools) in response to global and/or local exigencies. Local grassroots activist efforts are, despite their powerful and innovative measures, often overlooked as sites of/for critical analysis. This overshadowing of smaller-scale, localized activist labors may unintentionally obscure the important rhetorical tactics enacted by people who attempt to make change in their own communities. As a result, this collection specifically focuses on what can be learned and shared by examining instances of local grassroots activisms.

Chapter Formats: Just as activists have myriad ways to address local exigencies, we hope this edited collection will illustrate diverse approaches to scholarship focused on local grassroots activisms. To that end, the edited collection will include shorter profiles of community activists, activist organizations, and/or coalitional efforts intermixed with longer, researched chapters. In addition to success stories of grassroots activisms, we encourage contributions that grapple with “failure” and those that emphasize the often incremental change resulting from ongoing activist efforts. Furthermore, we seek contributions that explicitly recognize, value, and amplify the efforts of underrepresented and/or often marginalized communities.

Timeline:

  *   September 1, 2020 – Chapter proposals due

  *   October 1, 2020 – Notifications/acceptances sent out

  *   January 15, 2021 – Complete chapters due

  *   May 1, 2021 – Revised chapters due

  *   August 1, 2021 – Manuscript sent to publisher for external review

We look forward to reading proposals. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the editors at our email addresses listed below.

Sincerely,

Lisa L. Phillips, Texas Tech University, lisa.phillips at ttu.edu<mailto:lisa.phillips at ttu.edu>

Sarah Warren-Riley, University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, sarah.warrenriley at utrgv.edu<mailto:sarah.warrenriley at utrgv.edu>

Julie Collins Bates, Millikin University, jcbates at millikin.edu<mailto:jcbates at millikin.edu>