[ATTW-L] Sharing of three online class periods in technical communication

Alley, Michael P mpa13 at psu.edu
Wed Mar 11 18:46:32 UTC 2020

Dear Teachers of Technical Communication-

Because so many technical communication courses are moving online after the spring break, I wanted to share three online class periods in technical communication that you are welcome to use.

In addition to sharing the page that students would visit for the class period, I also included an instructor's page, which presents the following:

  1.  instructions for the students,
  2.  possible questions for a comprehension quiz that you would post on Canvas or Blackboard, and
  3.  a follow-up exercise.

Best wishes,

Michael Alley

1. Rethinking Technical Presentations: The Assertion-Evidence Approach
This class period is suited not only for a class period in a technical communication course but also a guest lecture in a technical course such as engineering design.

Student's page:           https://www.assertion-evidence.com/
Instructor's page:        https://www.assertion-evidence.com/online_class.html

2. Writing Technical Reports
This class period is suited for a guest lecture in a technical course. However, I do have my technical communication students go through this tutorial on the first week of classes.

Student's page:           https://sites.psu.edu/scientificwriting/tutorial-reports/
Instructor's page:        https://www.craftofscientificwriting.com/teaching_reports_tutorial.html

3. Making Connections Between Sentences
This class period is suited for a course on technical communication.

Student's page:           https://www.craftofscientificwriting.com/lesson_5.html
Instructor's page:        https://www.craftofscientificwriting.com/connections.html

Michael Alley
Teaching Professor, Engineering Communication
Pennsylvania State University
201 Hammond Bldg
University Park, PA 16802
1-814-867-0251