[ATTW-L] question about online courses

Alexander, Gia O gia.alexander at tamu.edu
Wed Mar 18 16:18:29 UTC 2020

Good Morning ATTW,

Texas A&M at College Station is fully online, synchronous or asynchronous (instructor's choice).

We already teach the majority of our introductory technical communication sections, ENGL 210, online. Our coordinator, Dr. Claire Carly-Miles, creates a course template in our LMS, Blackboard 9, that we can then import into our own courses. This template is editable, and experienced teachers are not required to use it (although most do). We do have a revised template in place for the remainder of Spring 2020 taking into account changes we needed to make in response to COVID-19.

For formerly in-peron classes, instructors of record can either move to the existing online format, or use videoconferencing tools such as ZOOM and Mediasite to hold discussions with students.

Most aspects of our university-wide resource site for responding to COVID-19, keepteaching.tamu.edu, are open without requiring login, and so may be helpful to ATTW members, as might similar resource sites at peer institutions.

Here's hoping this helps, and that everyone stays safe and well. I will miss not having our conference next week.

Best Regards,
Gia Alexander