[ATTW-L] Tenure Track Position in Technical and Professional Communication

Clinton Lanier clanier at nmsu.edu
Sun Nov 29 13:58:23 UTC 2020

New Mexico State University seeks a tenure-track faculty member in Technical and Professional Communication (TPC) to contribute to programs in Rhetoric and Professional Communication (undergraduate emphasis, MA, and PhD) in the English Department at New Mexico State University. Ideal applicants will have research and teaching interests and experience in technical and/or professional communication and will be able to articulate the critical histories and contexts that make up their area(s) of expertise. They also will be prepared to help shape and teach in a new online MA program in this area and to direct and participate on MA and PhD committees, contribute to the undergraduate English major, and support general education writing across campus.

Scholarly interests within technical communication that we would be particularly excited to welcome include, but are not limited to: user assistance and user-centered design; media and technology studies, development, and application; translation and international technical communication; government, non-profit, or health/medical communication; and/or TPC histories, pedagogies, or program administration. Examples of critical and anti-oppressive approaches to these interests that would complement our existing expertise include multilingual and translingual literacies; Indigenous, postcolonial, decolonial, or transnational theories and methodologies; critical and cultural rhetorics; and disability studies. Applicants with industry experience are also especially welcome to apply.

NMSU is a land-grant, Hispanic-Serving Institution in Southern New Mexico that serves
multilingual, multicultural students from the U.S.-Mexico Borderlands region and beyond.
Our MA and PhD programs support a diverse, international student body. In support of our mission and dedication to our students, we seek a colleague able to articulate professional practices and histories of disciplinary knowledge in inclusive and expansive ways.

This is a full-time, 9-month position. The base teaching load is 3-3 with releases for graduate advising and administrative work available. Faculty members contribute to the research, teaching, service, and outreach missions of the University.

We encourage applications from scholars of color, LGBTQ scholars, disabled scholars, women, gender nonconforming scholars, and scholars of other underrepresented groups. NMSU is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.

Required:
• PhD in Technical Communication, Rhetoric and Composition, or a closely related field by August 2021
• A record of publication and scholarly engagement in technical and professional communication commensurate with experience
• At least 3 years of teaching experience

Application must be made online at http://jobs.nmsu.edu/postings/40001 and must include:
• Cover letter
• CV
• 3 letters of reference
• A statement of teaching philosophy
• A writing sample of approximately 30 pages

Deadline for application is January 8, 2021

Clinton R. Lanier, PhD
Assistant Professor of Rhetoric and Professional Communication
Co-director Creative Research Center
New Mexico State University
Clara Belle Williams Hall, Rm. 207
575-646-2341