[ATTW-L] Invitation to an Editor's Listening Session

Derek Ross derek.ross at auburn.edu
Wed Oct 7 17:58:50 UTC 2020

Dear Colleagues:
The editors of many of our publications in technical and professional communication invite you to a Zoom-based listening session on anti-racism and inclusion practices in publication editing and academic publishing. We will hold two sessions: October 15, 2020, at 3:30 Central, and October 26th at 3:30 Central. You are welcome to come to either or both. While we recognize the potential problems of sharing an open Zoom link (included after the body of this invitation), we want everyone to have the option to join us, even anonymously if desired.
Our goal with this field-wide Editor’s Roundtable is to flip the script of a traditional editor’s roundtable and listen to your concerns, queries, and comments about current publication practices. Many of us, as editors, are rethinking our publication review policies through explicit anti-racist, inclusionary lenses. Many of us are doing this work individually, or with the help of our organizations and/or editorial boards. But we want your help. We want to hear your thoughts.
Our listening session will be moderated by Dr. Janine Utell, Editor of The Space Between: Literature and Culture 1914–1945 and Secretary of the Council of Editors of Learned Journals, and representatives from the current editorial group will be available, though our role will be to listen to you and take notes. We will then take what we hear back to our group and publications and try to strengthen our anti-racist and inclusionary practices. For those not able to make the session, or those who would like to participate in asynchronous or anonymous ways, we are also providing a survey for your feedback: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdwUDZd1nfo_cmxf60PlC7d1_8TZbWPUI9dWHnrvvyziJooMg/viewform
From this listening session, we are hoping to glean insight that we can turn into action items at our publications from the following types of prompts:

  1.  In what ways would you hope to see the field's publication venues be more accountable to scholars from underrepresented groups?
  2.  How might our submissions processes more clearly invite diverse scholarship and research perspectives?
  3.  What, if any, outreach or mentoring would you like to see our publications offer to underrepresented authors to assist in your writing process towards publication?
  4.  In what areas of the discipline do we need better editorial board, staff, and author representation to ensure our peer-review, copyediting, and publications are more inclusive?
  5.  What peer review or submission guidelines would you look for in a publication to feel welcome as an author?
We hope these and any related questions you have spark feedback we editors can use to build accountability partners, continue a dialogue on anti-racism and scholarly communications, and implement a more equitable, inclusive publishing practice for the discipline.
We look forward to hearing your thoughts on October 15, 2020, at 3:30 Central and on October 26, 2020, at 3:30 Central. Please feel free to join for one or both sessions.
Sincerely,
Editors in Technical and Professional Communication
We are inviting you to a scheduled Auburn University Zoom e-meeting. If you're a new participant, we have a quick start guide here: https://aub.ie/zoomquickstart<https://aub.ie/zoomquickstart>
Topic: Editor's Listening Session
Time: This is a recurring meeting Meet anytime
Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://auburn.zoom.us/j/87624816222?pwd=K1NQVCsrV3pEbGVGUTV4UU5JTmsrdz09<https://auburn.zoom.us/j/87624816222?pwd=K1NQVCsrV3pEbGVGUTV4UU5JTmsrdz09>
    Password: 834128
Connect using Computer/Device audio if possible.
Or Telephone: Meeting ID: 876 2481 6222
    Dial: +1 301 715 8592 (US Toll)
        or +1 312 626 6799 (US Toll)
Or an H.323/SIP room system:
    H.323: 162.255.37.11 (US West) or 162.255.36.11 (US East)
    Meeting ID: 876 2481 6222
    Password: 834128
    SIP: 87624816222 at zoomcrc.com<mailto:87624816222 at zoomcrc.com>
    Password: 834128

--

Dr. Derek G. Ross
Professor & Director of Graduate Studies, Department of English