[ATTW-L] Invitation to apply to East Carolina's PhD in Rhetoric, Writing, and Professional Communication

Erin Frost erinafrost at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 19:28:42 UTC 2020

In the PhD in Rhetoric, Writing, and Professional Communication at East
Carolina, students engage a variety of sub-fields and cutting-edge topics,
including rhetorics of health and medicine and protest communication, as
just some examples. Some of our recent graduates and their dissertation
titles include:

   - Dr. Cecilia Shelton, assistant professor at the University of
   Maryland, “On Edge: A Techne of Marginality”
   - Dr. Carleigh Davis, assistant professor at Missouri University of
   Science and Technology, “Mimetic Rhetorical Theory in Technical
   Communication: Re-Constructing Ethos in the Post-Fact Era”
   - Dr. Temptaous McKoy, assistant professor at Bowie State University,
   “Y’all Call it Technical and Professional Communication, We Call it
   #ForTheCulture: The Use of Amplification Rhetorics in Black Communities and
   their Implications for Technical and Professional Communication Studies”
   - Dr. Janine Butler, assistant professor at the Rochester Institute of
   Technology, “Integral Captions and Subtitles: Designing a Space for
   Embodied Rhetorics and Visual Access”
   - Dr. Stephanie West-Puckett, assistant professor at University of Rhode
   Island, “Materializing Makerspaces: Queerly Composing Space, Time, and
   (What) Matters”

Since we revised our program in 2012, we are proud of a 100% placement rate
for our alumni in the year after their graduation. All graduates of our
program are working in academia, in positions ranging from assistant
writing center director to Georgia Institute of Technology’s Brittain
Postdoctoral Fellow. Of our graduates, 62% are in tenure-line positions.

The preferred application deadline (to be fully considered for funding) is
Jan. 15. You can learn more at
https://english.ecu.edu/graduate-programs/phd-in-rhetoric-writing-professional-communication/

--
Dr. Erin A. Frost
Associate Professor & PhD Program Coordinator