[ATTW-L] the PSA Celebrity Tracker

Barbara L'eplattenier bleplatt at ualr.edu
Fri Oct 30 21:01:21 UTC 2020

One day, I hope to be describe like Christine Aguileria:

  She is an Obama-supporting Democrat and a gay-rights supporting liberal

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 1:19 PM Dragga, Sam <Sam.Dragga at ttu.edu> wrote:

> If you are looking for a timely and engaging example of a table for your
> class discussion of illustrations, consider the PSA Celebrity Tracker
> developed by Atlas Research for the US Department of Health and Human
> Services (HHS).
>

> This 34-page table—the research for which was funded by HHS—assesses the
> relative merits (including political affiliations and arrest records) of
> 250+ entertainers to determine their suitability for filming HHS public
> service commercials about COVID-19.
>

> The following is a sample:
>

> *Celebrity Name*
>
> *Status*
>
> *Additional Notes*
>
> *Demographic*
>
> Justin Timberlake
>
> Pending Answer
>
> Publicly endorsed Obama and supports gay marriage
>
> General population, super spreaders
>
> Lady Gaga
>
> Pending Answer
>
> Vocally supported Hillary Clinton in 2016, but has not specifically
> claimed any political side
>
> General population, super spreaders
>
> Nicki Minaj
>
> Pending Answer
>
> Arrested in 2003 for criminal possession of a weapon, supported Obama and
> Hillary Clinton, does not want to focus on politics when rapping
>
> Black Americans, Super spreaders, General population
>
> Travis Scott
>
> Pending Answer
>
> Arrested in 2017 for enticing a riot and disorderly conduct in Arkansas,
> appeared as a special guest at a rally for Beto O'Rourke, Democratic
> candidate
>
> Black Americans, Super spreaders, General population
>
> Billy Joel
>
> Pending Answer
>
> Not a fan of Trump but not going to be politically involved in 2020
>
> General population
>
> Jennifer Lopez
>
> Pending Answer
>
> Made a political statement during her Super Bowl performance to address
> Trump's immigration policies
>
> Latinx, General population
>

> In addition to the obvious ethical issues here, you and your students will
> notice that the table also disregards simple alphabetical order by
> celebrity’s name.
>

> The PSA Celebrity Tracker is available at
> https://oversight.house.gov/sites/democrats.oversight.house.gov/files/5.pdf
> .
>

> Sam
>

> Sam Dragga
>
> Professor Emeritus, Texas Tech University
>
> Editor, *Technical Communication*
>
> sam.dragga at ttu.edu
>
> 1-806-543-6099

Dr. Barbara L'Eplattenier  she / her / hers

*Ask me about off-campus opportunities such as a Fulbright, Rhodes, Gates,
or/and TWC internship for students!*

Professor, Department of Rhetoric and Writing
Off-campus Scholarship and Fellowship Liaison
501-436-9103 | Teaching Appointment page
<https://calendar.google.com/calendar/selfsched?sstoken=UURsRGVjOU1xZFpMfGRlZmF1bHR8ZmZmNjg5ZGNlYzc2MzE1YjIwNTg1ZDJkMGU0Y2U2NWY>
| *SFL* Appointment page
<https://calendar.google.com/calendar/selfsched?sstoken=UU16WjNGZGgxcVh1fGRlZmF1bHR8OTkzNTJlMjMwNzgxMTIzMzkzODUzMGQwMjUzMjM0NGI>
 (sfl at ualr.edu)
*Appointments are in the Google Meet listed in the calendar invite. *

2801 S. University Ave
Little Rock AR 72204-1099