[ATTW-L] Invitation to CCCC Rhetoric SIG

Lydia McDermott mcdermlm at whitman.edu
Thu Apr 1 17:13:23 UTC 2021

Dear Colleagues,

Please forgive cross-posting, but since the format is different this year
for SIGs, we want to make sure to reach as many people as possible.

You are invited to the meeting of the "Rhetoric's Histories: Traditions,
Theories, Pedagogies, Practices" Special Interest Group at CCCC.

The "Rhetoric's Histories" SIG met for the first time at the 2013 CCCC and
is sponsored by the Rhetoric Society of America. Its primary goal is to
strengthen the connections among professional organizations whose focus
includes an interest in rhetoric. We hope that this SIG can provide a space
where conference participants interested in rhetoric, including issues in
histories and historiography, theory, and teaching, can gather for a
discussion of current issues in the field.

This year’s event will feature three panelists who will continue our
dialogue about rhetoric’s role at CCCC and in society. Since the 2016
presidential election, we have seen a rise of nationalism, xenophobia, and
racism in American society. Centuries-old racist tropes were repackaged and
recirculated in both mainstream media and social media, which has led to
increased hate crimes against ethnic minorities. The situation has further
deteriorated during the Covid 19 pandemic. Our invited speakers Huiling
Ding, Cristina Ramirez, and Kathleen Welch will talk about how
scholar-teachers in rhetoric can productively respond to current
conversations about public discourse, government policies, social justice,
and human rights in our time. Their brief presentations will be followed by
a discussion among panelists and audience members.

The session will take place from 2:00-3:00 pm ET on Sunday, April 11th.

Please register for the event using this link:
https://forms.gle/f53NeaUPe5WZT14v8

Zoom links for the event will be sent when we receive your registration,
previous to the event.

We look forward to a lively conversation led by these distinguished
scholars. We hope to see you there!

Best regards,

Lydia McDermott and Bo Wang

Co-Chairs, “Rhetoric's Histories: Traditions, Theories, Pedagogies,
Practices” Special Interest Group

*Lydia McDermott*
Associate Professor and Chair of Rhetoric, Writing, and Public Discourse
Director of the Center for Writing and Speaking (COWS)
First-Year Writing Coordinator
*Whitman College*

she/her/hers pronouns