[ATTW-L] New Journal: Tech Comm & Social Justice

Dura, Lucia ldura at utep.edu
Thu Dec 23 18:48:22 UTC 2021

Dear Colleagues,

Before signing off for the holidays and knowing that some of you might have time to think about research and publications over the break, Jerry Savage and I (on behalf of our managing editor and editorial board) want to share an exciting announcement with you about a new journal focused on social justice in our field: Technical Communication and Social Justice.

We will re-share the announcement below along with more details, including a website, in early January. Please consider submitting with us next year!

Wishing you a healthy and relaxing break,

Lucía Durá (ldura at utep.edu<mailto:ldura at utep.edu>) and Jerry Savage (gjsavag at ilistu.edu<mailto:gjsavag at ilistu.edu>) (co-editors)

Announcing The Journal of Technical Communication and Social Justice

We are pleased to announce the forthcoming launch of The Journal of Technical Communication and Social Justice (TCSJ), an interdisciplinary, peer-reviewed journal to be published biannually. TCSJ will be an open-source online journal, first issue currently scheduled to publish in Summer 2022.

Who We Are
TCSJ Co-Founders
Godwin Agboka and Michael Duncan, University of Houston-Downtown

Editors

Lucia Dura, University of Texas-El Paso
Jerry Savage, Illinois State University (emeritus)

Managing Editor
Michael Duncan, University of Houston-Downtown

Editorial Board
Godwin Agboka, University of Houston-Downtown
Will Banks, East Carolina University
Mike Duncan (ex officio), University of Houston-Downtown
Lucia Dura (ex officio), University of Texas-El Paso
Avery Edenfield, Utah State University
Michael Faris, Texas Tech University
Laura Gonzales, University of Florida
Natasha Jones, Michigan State University
Kristen Moore, University of Buffalo
Gerald Savage, (ex officio) Illinois State University (emeritus)
Huatong Sun, University of Washington-Tacoma
Rebecca Walton, Utah State University

Vision
TCSJ seeks to do more than merely publish research reports, We advocate for and seek to foster recognition of previously silenced voices, ideas, and practices in technical communication and invite scholars and readers to join an activist community.

We will focus on considerations of social justice (e.g., equity, justice, inclusion, etc.) in the research, teaching, and practice of technical communication and professional communication. TCSJ publishes articles-empirical research, pedagogical approaches, case studies, integrative literature reviews, workplace studies, etc.-that advance themes (1) exploring the systems and structures that legitimize and sustain injustice and/or (2) redressing injustice and/or enacting social justice in spheres of technical communication work.

Scope and Purposes
The journal encourages articles presenting sound arguments drawing from diverse theoretical, applied, and practical perspectives as applicable in technical and professional communication and related disciplines such as rhetoric, composition, human-centered design, and user-experience. While the journal invites a broad range of subject matter and topics, published articles establish clear social justice connections, particularly through how the subject matter inhibits or promotes social justice.

TCSJ articles raise and engage a diverse range of topics such as, social justice theories, and research methodologies, race and ethnicities; gender, feminism, sexuality, and LGBTQIA+ issues; Indigenous studies, decolonialism, and postcolonialism; the Global South and/or the Global North; translation, localization, and globalization; disability studies; environmental justice; advocacy and citizenship; plain language, and user experience.

TCSJ does more than merely report research. We equip readers to foster change.  Therefore, our editorial policy is for reviewers to approach submissions in a spirit of advocacy and mentorship.