[ATTW-L] VAS or NTTF? Advantages and Disadvantages

Sarah Read read3 at pdx.edu
Thu Jun 24 22:17:37 UTC 2021

Hello colleagues,

On a rather short timeline, I have the opportunity to consider the
advantages and disadvantages of making an argument for either a NTTF
(permanent non-TT line with promotional opportunities) or a VAS (3 year
visiting contract with some research time) position to support the
Professional and Technical Writing program at PSU. Our program includes an
MA/MS in TPC, undergraduate writing courses for engineering majors (and
others) and the opportunity to grow the undergraduate writing minor with
more specialized TPC courses.

Off list, if you have experience with this decision, could you send me your
thoughts? I'd also appreciate any sample NTTF or VAS job descriptions that
reflect the relative merits of each type of position.

Thank you!

Sarah

Sarah Read, PhD
Associate Professor
Director, Technical and Professional Writing
Department of English *|* Portland State University
Vice-Chair, ACM SIGDOC
pronouns: she/her
read3 at pdx.edu

For info on the MTPW, check out our blog: https://psutechwriter.com/