[ATTW-L] New CDQ Experience Report on Teaching Content Analysis

Luke Thominet lthomine at fiu.edu
Tue Jun 29 17:14:05 UTC 2021

Dear Colleagues,

CDQ just published a new Online First experience report by Kristin Marie Bivens and Candice A. Welhausen, "Experience Report: Using a Hybrid Card Sorting-Affinity Diagramming Method to Teach Content Analysis<https://sigdoc.acm.org/cdq/using-a-hybrid-card-sorting-affinity-diagramming-method-to-teach-content-analysis/>" (sigdoc.acm.org/cdq/using-a-hybrid-card-sorting-affinity-diagramming-method-to-teach-content-analysis/).

Article Abstract: This teaching experience report describes a research experience for undergraduates (REUs) designed to cognitively support the work of two student research assistants (RAs) from a two-year college (2YC) on a funded project that involved analyzing user-generated content for an mHealth app. First, it suggests partnerships between two- and four-year institutions as a move toward REU equity because students from 2YCs are not typically afforded these opportunities. It then reviews the role of research in undergraduate learning and posits the importance of scaffolding to sequence cognitive leaps. Finally, it presents the cognitive scaffolding created by the authors and connects it to a hybrid card sorting-affinity diagramming content analysis method.

We invite you to contribute to the conversation. Communication Design Quarterly strives to be a place open to all types of research and writing as it relates to communication design, and we welcome non-traditional work and work by emerging scholars. We also know that many of our number work outside of academia, and welcome experience reports that summarize important technologies, techniques, methods, pedagogies, or product processes. We are also interested in proposals for guest editing special issues.

And if you have something that would be a good fit for Communication Design Quarterly, please review our article guidelines<http://sigdoc.acm.org/publication/communication-design-quarterly-review/> (sigdoc.acm.org/publication/communication-design-quarterly-review/) and direct inquiries or submissions to our Editor in Chief, Dr. Derek G. Ross, at derek.ross at auburn.edu<mailto:derek.ross at auburn.edu>.

Best,
Luke Thominet, PhD
Communications Manager
SIGDOC