[ATTW-L] Focus Groups on Doctoral Exams: A Research Invitation for Graduate Students

Murphy, Ryan Michael murph355 at purdue.edu
Tue May 4 16:41:02 UTC 2021

Dear Colleagues,

Recognizing that this is a busy time for most of us, I acknowledge the timing of this research invitation is not ideal, but I’m hopeful this might interest some of you. I’m happy to accommodate your schedule if you are willing to participate in a focus group highlighting graduate student perspectives on doctoral examinations in our field.

I am a PhD candidate at Purdue University conducting dissertation research on doctoral exams in rhetoric and composition and technical and professional communication as they relate to professionalization and disciplinarity. As part of this project, I am interested in listening to experiences of PhD students who have completed their doctoral exams, which for the purposes of this study are defined as the exams PhD students take prior to candidacy (e.g. comprehensive, preliminary, qualifying, field). To that end, I am recruiting participants to take part in focus groups conducted via zoom.

Participation in this study is voluntary.

Each 60-minute focus group will be comprised of current PhD students who have completed their exams. To promote a more equitable space for discussion that attends to all standpoints, these focus groups will use brave spaces ground rules (Arao and Clemens, 2013) and a progressive stack approach to speaking order if more than one participant wishes to speak at a time. Participation is voluntary, reported results will be de-identified, and you are free to leave the study at any time.

If you are a) at least 18 years old, b) a PhD student or candidate in rhetoric and composition, technical and professional writing, or a related field and c) you have completed your doctoral exams, you are invited to participate in a zoom-based focus group with 3-4 graduate students from other institutions.  If you use the Qualtrics form (linked below) to indicate that you are willing to participate in this research and you will be contacted to schedule a focus group meeting. Participants will receive a list of discussion questions before the 60-minute Zoom meeting.

Link to recruitment form: https://purdue.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_4NOg9eTThYLCur4

For questions, or if you would like additional information to assist you in reaching a decision about participation, please feel free to contact me at murph355 at purdue.edu<mailto:murph355 at purdue.edu> or my dissertation advisor, Dr. Michael Salvo, at salvo at purdue.edu<mailto:salvo at purdue.edu>.

This study, titled “Doctoral Exams and Disciplinarity in Rhetoric and Composition – Interviews and Focus Groups” has been reviewed by Purdue University's Institutional Research Board (IRB# 2021-340). If you have questions, they can be reached at (765)-494-5942 or irb at purdue.edu<mailto:irb at purdue.edu>.

Thank you for your time and consideration in participating in this research.

Sincerely,

Ryan Michael Murphy
murph355 at purdue.edu<mailto:murph355 at purdue.edu>

PI/Advisor: Michael Salvo
salvo at purdue.edu<mailto:salvo at purdue.edu>

Ryan Michael Murphy
PhD candidate in Rhetoric & Composition
Purdue University | Department of English
murph355 at purdue.edu<mailto:murph355 at purdue.edu>
ryanmurphy.org<https://ryanmurphy.org/>
Pronouns: he/him/his

Reference: Arao, B., & Clemens, K. (2013). From Safe Spaces to Brave Spaces: A New Way to Frame Dialogue Around Diversity and Social Justice. In L. M. Landreman (Ed.), The Art of Effective Facilitation: Reflections from Social Justice Educators (First edition, pp. 135–150). Stylus Publishing, LLC ; ACPA.