[ATTW-L] New CDQ Article on the Use of Playful Stylistic Choices in Mundane Genres

Luke Thominet lthomine at fiu.edu
Fri May 7 19:35:33 UTC 2021

Dear Colleagues,

CDQ just published a new Online First article by Jimmy Butts and Josephine Walwema, Rhetorical Hedonism and Gray Genres<https://sigdoc.acm.org/cdq/rhetorical-hedonism-and-gray-genres/> (sigdoc.acm.org/cdq/rhetorical-hedonism-and-gray-genres/).

Article Abstract: As technical genres continue to grow and morph in promising new directions, this article attempts an analysis of what are typically viewed as mundane genres. It uses the term gray genres, which is useful for interrogating texts that tend to fall in categories that tend toward a blandness which is invariably difficult to quantify. It uses hedonism, along with a historical accounting for this value from its classical rhetorical lineage and run it up to contemporary applications. It posits that playful stylistic choices-while typically discouraged in more technical spaces-actually improves the rhetorical canon of delivery for informative documents. The article ends with case studies that offer close readings of a few attempts at employing hedonistic tactics within typical gray genres.

We invite you to contribute to the conversation. Communication Design Quarterly strives to be a place open to all types of research and writing as it relates to communication design, and we welcome non-traditional work and work by emerging scholars. We also know that many of our number work outside of academia, and welcome experience reports that summarize important technologies, techniques, methods, pedagogies, or product processes. We are also interested in proposals for guest editing special issues.

And if you have something that would be a good fit for Communication Design Quarterly, please review our article guidelines<http://sigdoc.acm.org/publication/communication-design-quarterly-review/> (sigdoc.acm.org/publication/communication-design-quarterly-review/) and direct inquiries or submissions to our Editor in Chief, Dr. Derek G. Ross, at derek.ross at auburn.edu<mailto:derek.ross at auburn.edu>.

Best,
Luke Thominet, PhD
Communications Manager
SIGDOC