[ATTW-L] 850 books at risk in Texas

Jordan Frith frithjh at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 20:46:57 UTC 2021

Sam,
Thank you for this list! This would definitely be a great conversation
starter in class, and as always...thank you for sharing such great
materials with this list and sparking cool teaching ideas.

Also, I can't quite get over the irony that the same people who throw
around terms like "snowflake" are happy to ban hundreds of books because
they might make someone feel "discomfort."

On Thu, Oct 28, 2021 at 3:33 PM Dragga, Sam <Sam.Dragga at ttu.edu> wrote:

> To jump start a lively conversation on the perils of censorship, consider
> the letter issued by a Texas legislator to the Texas Education Agency
> regarding a list of 850 books evidently considered dangerous for their
> potential to “make students feel discomfort, guilt, anguish, or any other
> form of psychological distress because of their race or sex or convey that
> a student, by virtue of their race or sex, is inherently racist, sexist, or
> oppressive, whether consciously or unconsciously” (which would be illegal
> according to a new Texas law).
>
> The letter is available at
> https://static.texastribune.org/media/files/965725d7f01b8a25ca44b6fde2f5519b/krauseletter.pdf,
> and the 16-page appendix listing the books by title, author, and year of
> publication is at
> https://static.texastribune.org/media/files/94fee7ff93eff9609f141433e41f8ae1/krausebooklist.pdf.
>

> Sam
>
> Sam Dragga
>
> Professor Emeritus
>
> Texas Tech University
>
> sam.dragga at ttu.edu
>
> 1-806-543-6099

Jordan Frith, Ph.D.
Pearce Professor of Professional Communication
Clemson University

Pronouns: He/Him
Book review editor of the *Journal of Business & Technical Communication*
My Amazon author page
<https://www.amazon.com/Books-Jordan-Frith/s?i=stripbooks&rh=p_27%3AJordan+Frith>