[ATTW-L] Assistant Professor, Specialization in User Experience, Data Visualization or Social/New Media, Arizona State University

Stephen Carradini sacarrad at asu.edu
Mon Sep 27 17:25:37 UTC 2021

Arizona State Technical Communication is pleased to announce a new
position:

*Assistant Professor of Technical Communication, Specialization in User
Experience, Data Visualization or Social/New Media*

The Technical Communication faculty in the College of Integrative Sciences
and Arts on the Polytechnic Campus <https://campus.asu.edu/polytechnic> at
Arizona State University invite applications for an Assistant Professor
position in Technical Communication, with specialization in User
Experience, Data Visualization or Social/New Media. Expectations for this
position include: teaching undergraduate and graduate courses; engaging in
research applicable to technical communication; practicing inclusive
teaching and mentoring; and providing service to the unit, college, and
university. Teaching load is typically two (2) courses per semester. Course
load and composition are determined by the faculty head. This is an
academic-year appointment with an expected start date of August 2022. The
Assistant Professor position is a benefits-eligible appointment with tenure
implications. Salary is competitive, commensurate with experience.

The Technical Communication program is home to vibrant and innovative
scholars, teachers, and students. We value the freedom to work
interdisciplinarily with faculty throughout the university in a wide range
of research areas that help advance the knowledge of students, support
practitioner work, and improve the lives of users. We value the
intellectual collaborations we have cultivated with other units at ASU.
Alongside various partnerships with the School of Sustainability, Edson
College of Nursing and Health Innovation, and WP Carey School of Business,
we co-administer a MS in User Experience with Fulton School of Engineering.
In addition to our MS in UX, we currently offer an MS, BS, minor, and
graduate certificate in Technical Communication, as well as two recently
approved concentrations in Data Visualization and New Media. *The Technical
Communication program houses the CRUX lab, where faculty and students
engage in impactful communication and UX research using state-of-the-art
resources, including an eye-tracking system.*

Arizona State University has developed a model for the New American
University, creating an institution that is committed to excellence,
access, and impact. ASU is a comprehensive public research university,
measured not by whom we exclude, but rather by whom we include and how they
succeed; advancing research and discovery of public value; and assuming
fundamental responsibility for the economic, social, cultural and overall
health of the communities it serves. ASU has been named #1 in the United
States for innovation for seven consecutive years, the #1 Coolest School by
the Sierra Club in 2021, and a Top 10 Best Buy public university by Fiske
Guide to Colleges 2021.

Arizona State University is committed to accelerating meaningful change in
its diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging efforts at all levels. *We
have instituted several important initiatives, including ASU LIFT
(https://president.asu.edu/commitment
<https://president.asu.edu/commitment>), which seeks to enhance growth and
opportunity for Black undergraduate and graduate students, faculty, and
staff. *LIFT also broadens ASU’s academic offerings, community services,
and collaborative relationships to benefit all underrepresented groups and
individuals at ASU.

ASU’s College of Integrative Sciences and Arts is home to innovative
teachers and researchers who are guided by educational access, student
success, applied learning, and interdisciplinary inquiry. CISA has over
7,300 students and over 300 faculty members. We understand that there are
many paths to achieving a university education, and we build undergraduate
and graduate degree programs and pathways that are flexible and relevant
for a rapidly changing world. CISA values cultural and intellectual
diversity and continually strives to foster a welcoming and inclusive
environment. We are especially interested in applicants who can strengthen
the diversity of our academic community.

To learn more about ASU and the College of Integrative Sciences and Arts
visit http://about.asu.edu/ and http://cisa.asu.edu

*Qualifications*

*Required Qualifications*

   - Terminal degree in technical communication, user experience, or
   related field at time of appointment
   - Ability to teach in both immersion (classroom) and online environments
   (incl. synchronous and asynchronous)
   - Evidence of commitment to meeting the needs of diverse or
   underrepresented student/community populations via research, teaching,
   mentoring, or service
   - Excellent written and spoken communication skills
   - Evidence of teaching effectiveness
   - Potential to secure external research funding

*Desired Qualifications*

   - Record of publishing or potential for publishing in peer-reviewed
   journals in technical communication
   - Scholarly trajectory that considers the economic, social, cultural,
   and/or overall health of the communities it serves
   - Experience teaching graduate and/or undergraduate courses in technical
   communication, particularly courses with a focus on user experience, data
   visualization, and/or social/new media
   - Experience teaching in digital environments (incl. synchronous and
   asynchronous) using Canvas or similar tools
   - Research, teaching, mentoring, or service experience that foregrounds
   intersections between the TC specializations listed above and diversity,
   equity, and inclusion
   - Record of pursuing external research funding
   - Technical communication industry experience or interest in
   establishing relationships with industry partners

*Application Instructions*
Only electronic submissions will be reviewed. Incomplete applications will
not be considered. *Applications should be submitted at
http://apply.interfolio.com/95261 <http://apply.interfolio.com/95261> *and
must contain:

   - Letter of interest including a discussion of research interests and
   teaching philosophy/practice.
   - Curriculum vitae
   - Statement addressing how your past and/or potential contributions to
   social justice, diversity, equity and/or inclusion will advance ASU’s
   commitment to inclusive excellence (max two single-spaced page)
   - Graduate degree transcript(s) - unofficial is acceptable at the time
   of application
   - Information for three professional references (their position, title,
   e-mail, phone number)

The application deadline is *11/8/2021 at 5pm Arizona Time (Mountain
Standard Time all year)*; and if not filled, then every Friday thereafter
until the search is closed. Official Transcripts and a background check are
required prior to first day of employment. For technical assistance with
your application, please contact Amanda.Kahler at asu.edu. For
position-related questions, please contact Search Committee Chair Dr.
Claire Lauer at claire.lauer at asu.edu.

This institution is using Interfolio's Faculty Search to conduct this
search. Applicants to this position receive a free Dossier account and can
send all application materials, including confidential letters of
recommendation, free of charge.

A background check is required for employment. Arizona State University is
a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected
veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.

Stephen Carradini
On behalf of Claire Lauer and the search committee

*Dr. Stephen Carradini (he, him, his)*
Assistant Professor
Technical Communication program
College of Integrative Sciences and Arts
*Arizona State University*

7271 E. Sonoran Arroyo Mall, 251F
Mesa, AZ 85212-2780
Mail Code: 2780