[ATTW-L] Announcing the publication of issue 10(4) of Communication Design Quarterly

Jordan Frith frithjh at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 20:31:30 UTC 2022

Hi all,
I'm happy to announce the publication of issue 10(4) of *Communication
Design Quarterly (CDQ)*. The issue features a range of full-length articles
and three excellent book reviews. I'm including the abstracts of the
full-length articles in this email, but you can get a PDF of the full issue
here.
<https://cdq.sigdoc.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/CDQ_10.4_FullIssue.pdf> And
as always, please visit *CDQ's *new website <https://cdq.sigdoc.org/> if
you get a chance, and we are always open to submissions. Just reach out to
me directly if you have any questions or have work you think might be a
good fit for our publication. Enjoy the new issue!

Here are the article titles and abstracts:

*Embodied participation: (re)Situating bodies in collaborative research*

by Michael Clay, Bridie McGreavy, & Jennifer Smith-Mayo

*Abstract:* Our paper centers embodiment as a theme and a process in
research through describing the fine-grained practices and everyday
interactions that shape collaborative research in the contexts of watershed
restoration and environmental monitoring. We focus on embodiment because it
offers a means for attending to the process and politics of knowledge
production within and across boundaries. We offer two case studies that
focus on embodiment to structure research processes and shape ongoing,
emergent, and collaborative research practices. We argue technical
communication as a field is well positioned to include embodied practices
in research design and writing.

*Surveying the Effects of Remote Communication & Collaboration Practices on
Game Developers Amid a Pandemic*

by Elizabeth Caravella

*Abstract*: Communication and collaboration are essential parts of the game
development process. However, during the global pandemic, the shift to
remote work marked a sudden change in how developers could communicate and
collaborate with one another, as usual ad-hoc conversations that happen in
physical offices were nonexistent. Based on a partnership grant study with
the International Game Developers Association (IGDA), this piece focuses on
the results of a survey that examined developers’ mental health and
productivity during the COVID-19 pandemic. Our findings suggest that the
majority of game developers would want a hybrid or fully remote position
even after pandemic conditions subside. Failure to address the pandemic’s
impact on the game development industry risks ignoring a rich area of
technical communication complicated by, and responsive to, hybrid
workplaces.

*Ethical Design Approaches for Workplace Augmented Reality*

by Jacob Greene

*Abstract:* Augmented reality (AR) technologies are increasingly being
implemented in various workplace contexts; however, they pose a number of
ethical design challenges. To discern the ethical implications of workplace
AR, this article conducts an analysis of the promotional discourses
surrounding a workplace AR system. This analysis demonstrates a tendency to
frame AR technologies in terms of a transhumanist evolution in worker
agency and organizational efficiency. Such discourses elide applications of
workplace AR for purposes of worker surveillance and exploitation. The
article concludes by outlining speculative ethical design guidelines that
communication designers can take up in their work on workplace AR systems.

Thanks so much!
--

Jordan Frith, Ph.D.

Pearce Professor of Professional Communication

Clemson University

Pronouns: He/Him

Editor-in-Chief, *Communication Design Quarterly*

Editor, *The X-Series <https://parlorpress.com/pages/x-series>*, Parlor
Press

My Google Scholar Profile
<https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=OtvmSE0AAAAJ&hl=en>