[ATTW-L] New Book on Homelessness

Mary Schuster mmlay at umn.edu
Mon Jan 24 14:28:55 UTC 2022

>From Mary L. Schuster, Professor Emerita, University of Minnesota: I am
pleased that my latest book, *Homeless Voices: Stigma, Space, and Social
Media*, is out from Lexington Press (Rowman & Littlefield), and I thank
Kenny Fountain, Amy Koerber, Brian Larson, Ryan Berg, and Blake Scott for
their endorsements! In the book, I  argue that the best sources for how to
address issues of homelessness are people experiencing homelessness
themselves, particularly as they express their experiences through personal
blogs and memoirs. I discuss how space and land have been historically
denied to marginalized communities who still feel the effects to this day,
and I examine the conditions and limitations of common spaces often
assigned to those experiencing homelessness, culminating in an analysis of
how the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) has affected homelessness. I also
focus on two vulnerable groups that often experience homelessness: victims
of domestic violence and unaccompanied youth, particularly those who
struggle with gender identity and unstable housing. This book includes a
variety of case studies, examining public meetings and court decisions,
public policy symposiums, and personal interviews, and ultimately finds
that intersectionality—specifically age, race, gender identity, and
ethnicity—plays a large part in understanding and experiencing
homelessness. By shifting our attention to the diverse voices who
experience homelessness themselves, I claim that we can finally begin to
remedy this crisis. The book is available for a 30% discount if you use the
code *LXFANDF30* at the Press website:
https://rowman.com/ISBN/9781793635709/Homeless-Voices-Stigma-Space-and-Social-Medi
<https://rowman.com/ISBN/9781793635709/Homeless-Voices-Stigma-Space-and-Social-Media>
a.