[ATTW-L] #Job: 2 Visiting Assistant professor positions at Virginia Tech

Cana Itchuaqiyaq cana.itchuaqiyaq at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 16:00:24 UTC 2022

Ooops--
Here's the job ad:

Visiting Assistant Professor of Professional and Technical Writing

*Apply now*
<https://secure.dc4.pageuppeople.com/apply/968/gateway/default.aspx?c=apply&lJobID=520542&lJobSourceTypeID=796&sLanguage=en-us>*Job
no:* 520542
*Work type:* Teaching & Research Faculty
*Senior management:* Liberal Arts and Human Sciences
*Department:* English
*Location:* Blacksburg - Main Campus
*Categories:* Instructional / Teaching Faculty

*Job Description*

The Department of English at Virginia Tech is hiring candidates for two
one-year Professional and Technical Writing positions at the rank of
Visiting Assistant Professor (VAP), beginning August 2022.

We are especially interested in applicants who specialize in technical and
professional communication with research and teaching that focuses in one
or more of these areas: scientific writing; the rhetoric of health and
medicine; government, non-profit, business or management communication; web
design; user-centered design; content management; and media and technology
studies. Because this position may be remote, applicants with online
teaching experience are strongly encouraged to apply.

Responsibilities for the position include teaching three (3) courses per
semester among departmental offerings in our undergraduate Professional and
Technical Writing program. More information concerning the department and
university can be found at
https://liberalarts.vt.edu/departments-and-schools/department-of-english.html
 and www.vt.edu.

The department fully embraces Virginia Tech’s commitment to increase
faculty, staff, and student diversity; to ensure a welcoming, affirming,
safe, and accessible campus climate; to advance our research, teaching, and
service mission through inclusive excellence; and to promote sustainable
transformation through institutionalized structures. We encourage
applications from all interested candidates and are particularly interested
in applications from persons identifying with underrepresented/underserved
groups including but not limited to Black, Indigenous, people of color,
underrepresented genders, and veterans. These individuals would include cis
women, trans women, trans men, non-binary people, and those who are
otherwise marginalized.

The English department is one of the largest at the university with 100
faculty across multiple ranks; 350 majors in English language and
literature, creative writing, and professional writing; 200 minors; and six
classified staff members. In addition to the B.A., the department offers an
M.A. in English language and literature, an M.F.A. in creative writing, and
a Ph.D. in rhetoric and writing. There are over 60 graduate students, most
of whom are fully funded as Graduate Teaching Assistants. Through
first-year writing, service courses in business and technical writing, and
the Writing Center, the department additionally serves thousands of
students.

Virginia Tech is a public land‐grant university committed to teaching and
learning, research, and outreach within the Commonwealth of Virginia, the
nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may
serve), the University is dedicated to serving in the spirit of community,
diversity, and excellence — InclusiveVT. We seek candidates who adopt and
practice efforts to increase access and inclusion to create a community
that nurtures learning and growth for all.

*Required Qualifications*

• PhD in Technical Communication, Rhetoric and Composition, or a closely
related field by the time of appointment (August 2022).
• Demonstrated evidence of excellence in teaching.
• Demonstrated potential of significant future research and publication.
• Demonstrated commitment to the principles and practices of nurturing a
diverse and inclusive community.

*Preferred Qualifications*

We seek colleagues whose work advocates for justice-oriented approaches to
professional and technical writing theory and practice.
• We seek colleagues with scholarly interests in critical & cultural
rhetorics and disability studies.

*Appointment Type*

Restricted

*Salary Information*

*Review Date*

June 20, 2022

*Additional Information*The successful candidate will be required to have a
criminal conviction check.

*About Virginia Tech*

Dedicated to its motto, *Ut Prosim* (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech
pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary
approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A
comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in
Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community
<https://www.inclusive.vt.edu/> dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and
creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse
enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional
students in eight undergraduate colleges
<https://vt.edu/academics/depts-colleges.html>, a school of medicine
<https://medicine.vtc.vt.edu/>, a veterinary medicine
<http://www.vetmed.vt.edu/> college, Graduate School
<https://graduateschool.vt.edu/>, and Honors College
<https://honorscollege.vt.edu/>. The university has a significant presence
across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus
<https://vt.edu/innovationcampus/index.html> in Northern Virginia; the
Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and
Richmond; and numerous Extension offices <https://ext.vt.edu/offices.html>
 and research centers <https://www.research.vt.edu/institutes.html>. A
leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500
million in research annually.

Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or
applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including
pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic
information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual
orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against
employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their
compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on
any other basis protected by law.

If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation,
please contact *Jim Dubinsky* at *dubinsky at vt.edu <dubinsky at vt.edu>* during
regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.

Chiis-sa viñauramiglu,

Cana