[ATTW-L] Open Access TPC Book Series

Sherena Huntsman sherenahuntsman at boisestate.edu
Fri Mar 25 16:37:33 UTC 2022

Hello, All.

The book series, Foundations and Innovations in Professional and Technical
Communication <https://wac.colostate.edu/books/tpc/>, would like to assist
as you seek out helpful resources for your scholarship and to share with
your students. One of several outstanding and open access resources new to
the series is *In Assembling Critical Components: A Framework of Sustaining
Technical and Professional Communication* edited by Joanna Schreiber and
Lisa Meloncon.

As you are preparing to teach courses on professional or technical
communication or looking for resources to define the role of TPC, I
recommend looking through Chapter 4: “Visualize a Triangle.” What’s
Professional About Professional Communication?
<https://wac.colostate.edu/docs/books/assembling/chapter4.pdf>

By Brenton Faber. For example, I am excited to use this formative chapter
in concert with Miller’s foundational work on humanistic technical
communication as part of my introduction class next spring.

Faber offers a definition of professional writing that opens space for
discussion of the rhetorical power of professional communication. What is
the role of professional communication in the production of capitalistic
ideals and in questioning those ideals to value health, justice, science,
and knowledge? Faber speaks to the traditional view of professional
communication that I imagine most of my students will relate to and then
builds into the ability of TPC to question, disrupt, and realign power
relationships: “For example, a technical communicator could deploy
professional discourses to rebalance the power dynamics between users or
particular groups and individuals…”.

Please, feel welcome to look through the entire series as a supportive
resource.

Be well,

Sherena

Sherena Huntsman, PhD.     To make an appointment, visit my calendar.
<https://calendly.com/sherenahuntsman>
Assistant Professor
English Department
Boise State University
Associate Editor, *Foundations and Innovations in Technical and
Professional Communication* book series