[ATTW-L] SafeGraph's message about family planing centers

Dragga, Sam Sam.Dragga at ttu.edu
Wed May 4 17:54:22 UTC 2022

If you are looking for a timely (and classic) example of a message that buries the important new information in elaborate explanation, consider the blog piece titled “Demystyifying the SafeGraph Facts” (https://www.safegraph.com/blog/demystifying-the-safegraph-facts).

In this 920-word message, it is only after 727 words that CEO Auren Hoffman announces in technical language that SafeGraph will stop selling data (aggregated and anonymized) about people visiting family planning centers like Planned Parenthood:

“In light of potential federal changes in family planning access, we're removing Patterns data for locations classified as NAICS code 621410 (‘Family Planning Centers’) from our self-serve “shop” and API to curtail any potential misuse of its data.”

This example could yield a lively discussion and engaging revision exercise.

CAUTION: This example might be illegal instruction material in your location.

Sam

Sam Dragga
Professor Emeritus
Texas Tech University