[ATTW-L] Job Ad: Associate/Full Professor of Interdisciplinary Humanities at UTSA

Kenneth Walker walker.utsa at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 13:35:54 UTC 2022

Dear Colleagues,

Wonderful to see many of you last week at NCA. As I likely mentioned,
UTSA's College of Liberal and Fine Arts <http://colfa.utsa.edu/colfa/>
(COLFA) is creating a new school of Interdisciplinary Humanities to launch
in Fall 2023. As part of this launch, we are seeking to hire an
Associate/Full Professor of Interdisciplinary Humanities, with a special
emphasis on Digital, Medical, Borderlands, and/or Environmental Humanities.
The successful candidate will hold the Endowed Brackenridge Chair.

Please see the full ad here.
<https://www.h-net.org/jobs/job_display.php?id=64679>

Key to our work in this new school is a community-engaged and
interdisciplinary praxis of research, teaching, and service/administration.
This is a 9-month faculty position with a 2/2 teaching load with
significant reductions for grants/administration/service. We have a
strong Medical
Humanities BA
<https://future.utsa.edu/programs/undergraduate/medical-humanities/>, an
existing and growing BA in Environmental Studies
<https://catalog.utsa.edu/undergraduate/sciences/integrativebiology/#degreestext>
that articulates to Humanities via Env Anthropology
<http://anthropology.utsa.edu/> & Env Rhetoric
<https://colfa.utsa.edu/english/walker.html>, and a growing emphasis on
COLFA-level Digital Initiatives
<http://colfa.utsa.edu/colfa/digital-initiatives> and Digital Humanities
<https://colfa.utsa.edu/colfa/digital-initiatives/collaborative-digital-humanities-program>.
While the new school will primarily house BA programs, for now, we also
have deep connections to the interdisciplinary tracks in the MA
<https://future.utsa.edu/programs/master/english/> and PhD
<https://future.utsa.edu/programs/doctoral/english/>programs in The
Department of English. We are particularly interested in applicants who
will contribute to the College’s commitment to increasing access and
opportunities for populations that are currently under-represented in the
humanities, including members of racialized communities, persons with
disabilities, women, and persons who identify as LGBTQ+.

UTSA is one of the few R1 HSI Institutions with four locations across San
Antonio, Texas. After seven years of working here, I can tell you the
possibilities of doing community-engaged transdisciplinary work with
students are extensive (many of us in COLFA have been funded by the major
national agencies - NSF, NIH, USDA, NEH, Mellon, etc.). The FirstGen,
majority BIPOC UG and Graduate Students here are phenomenal, and San
Antonio is a fabulous place to live and connect with long-standing
community organizations all across the city.

I am on the hiring committee and happy to answer any questions you might
have: kenneth.walker at utsa.edu

You may also reach out to our search chair: omar.valerio-jimenez at utsa.edu

I would be especially grateful if you could circulate this ad to any
scholars who may be interested in joining us at this transformative moment
in San Antonio.

All best,

Kenny

--
Kenneth Walker (he/him), PhD
Associate Professor

Author of *Climate Politics on the Border
<http://www.uapress.ua.edu/product/Climate-Politics-on-the-Border,7688.aspx>*