[ATTW-L] Big news: Brand new CDQ website, brand new CDQ special issue, and brand new CDQ twitter account

Jordan Frith frithjh at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 17:00:00 UTC 2022

Hi all,
As some of you already know, I took over as editor-in-chief of *Communication
Design Quarterly (CDQ) *August from the great Derek Ross. I'm emailing you
with a bunch of updates on *CDQ, *so I hope you all bear with me through a
slightly long email :). Also, I'm always happy to get feedback from the
community on any of this and looking to promote submissions to *CDQ *in any
way I can, so please don't hesitate to be in touch! I have 3 major updates
about the journal, so stick with me for a second.

   1. I spent a bunch of the summer developing a brand new *CDQ *website
   <https://cdq.sigdoc.org/>. *CDQ's *content used to be hosted on the
   SIGDOC site, but our new site is separate to help us establish a bit more
   of our own identity. The site still features PDFs of all our online first
   articles, an archive of our issues,  submission guidelines (though we did
   change the guidelines to make experience reports shorter), and our
   excellent editorial board. I also added an inclusivity statement
   <https://cdq.sigdoc.org/inclusivity-statement/> that includes
   anti-racist policies for authors and reviews. If you get a chance, explore
   the site and let me know what you think!
      - Oh, and as a quick note, we'll be hosting all online first and
      freely available issues on the new site going forward. However, I worked
      with the SIGDOC web team (thanks Adam Stranz!) to not
inconvenience all of
      you who built your courses with links to older *CDQ *articles. While
      the SIGDOC site no longer has a page with the articles, the older links
      should still work, though feel free to update them to the newer links on
      the CDQ site if you'd like.
   2. I'm VERY pleased to announce the publication of the first of two *CDQ
   *special issues about infrastructural approaches to understanding
   writing and design. This first special issue is edited by Jordan Frith (me,
   well before I even thought of taking the spot at *CDQ *editor) and Sarah
   Read, and features a ton of great work by a bunch of great authors. This is
   also the last issue Derek and his team were responsible for, so I'm sure
   that's a bit bittersweet for him after so many years doing a great
job at *CDQ.
   *You can download a PDF of the full issue here
   <https://cdq.sigdoc.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/CDQ_10.2_2022.pdf>,
   and I created a page for the abstracts of each article in the issue
   here.
   <https://cdq.sigdoc.org/special-issue-communication-and-design-infrastructures/>
Oh,
   and here's a list of all the articles and authors in the issue. I know
   Sarah and I are so proud of the work the authors did, and we can't wait for
   you all to read it.

   - *Special issue introduction: Communication and design infrastructures,* by
      Jordan Frith and Sarah Read
      - *Infrastructural support of users’ mediated potential,* by Nupoor
      Ranade and Jason Swarts
      - *Automated infrastructures: Participation’s changing role in
      postindustrial work,* by John T. Sherrill and Michael J. Salvo
      - *Building ethical distributed teams through sustained attention to
      infrastructure,* by Michelle McMullin, Hadi Riad Banat, Shelton
      Weech, and Bradley Dilger
      - *Writing infrastructure with the Fabric of Digital Life Platform,* by
      Katlynne Davis, Danielle Mollie Stambler, Jessica Lynn Campbell,
Daniel L.
      Hocutt, Ann Hill Duin, and Isabel Pederson
      - *Alternate histories and conflicting futures: Git version control
      as software development infrastructure,* by Eric J. York
      - The issue also features two book reviews organized by our excellent
      book review editor Erika Sparby. Those book reviews are written by Corina
      Lerma and Mason Pellegrini.

       3. And finally, we just created a new Twitter account for *CDQ (
<https://twitter.com/DesignCdq>*@DesignCDQ) <https://twitter.com/DesignCdq>*.
<https://twitter.com/DesignCdq> *We haven't posted much of anything yet,
but please give it a follow and we'll keep updating you on the great work *CDQ
*authors are doing.
--

Jordan Frith, Ph.D.

Pearce Professor of Professional Communication

Clemson University

Pronouns: He/Him

Book review editor of the *Journal of Business & Technical Communication*

Editor-in-Chief, *Communication Design Quarterly*

Editor, *The X-Series <https://parlorpress.com/pages/x-series>*, Parlor
Press

My Google Scholar Profile
<https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=OtvmSE0AAAAJ&hl=en>