[ATTW-L] The changing face of VR: Pushing the boundaries of experience across multiple industries

Dessy Vassileva dessy.vassileva at vernonpress.com
Wed Sep 21 09:14:18 UTC 2022

To Whom It May Concern,

I hope this email finds you well. I am writing to you as we have recently
published a book that we believe may be of interest to you and your
association. The book is entitled *The changing face of VR: Pushing the
boundaries of experience across multiple industries*, edited by Jordan
Frith and Michael Saker.

Kind regards,

Dessy Vassileva
*Vernon Press*
dessy.vassileva at vernonpress.com

*Book details:*

*ISBN: *978-1-64889-474-9

https://vernonpress.com/book/1553

[image: image.png]

VR occupies an interesting place in the media ecosystem. On the one hand,
it is an emerging, ‘cutting-edge’ technology backed by billions of USD by
major corporations. On the other hand, VR is older than the World Wide Web
and older than social networking sites. After many years of hype and
unfulfilled potential, VR is now finally on the precipice of widespread
adoption and has begun to be used in novel ways throughout various
industries. This edited collection brings together a diverse group of
authors to analyse the current state of VR, while recognizing that these
many different use-cases will likely become even more important with the
increased investment in the technology.

To examine the current state of VR across multiple sites and industries, we
compiled a group of practitioners and academics to both examine VR
practices and theorize new uses of VR. The book also focuses on an
inclusive analysis and includes authors from South America, North America,
Europe, Australia, and Asia, and the topics range from analyses of VR use
in live events to the ethics of nature-based VR apps to the social
practices involved in using public VR at museum exhibits. As we argue in
the introduction, this book is one of the first to bring together authors
from different backgrounds and disciplines to chart just how widely VR has
already spread. And maybe most importantly, the topics covered in this book
will only become more relevant as VR continues to grow, especially in the
wake of the growth of the supposed Metaverse.

Virtual reality is all about experiences––the experience of immersion, the
experience of difference, the experience of the new, and the experience of
experiencing. Jordan Frith and Michael Saker have curated an expansive set
of use-cases through a multidisciplinary examination of VR experiences
across industries. From journalism to narrative design to climate systems
modeling to theatrical performance, the contributors of this collection
have dived into various aspects of experiencing the virtual and critiqued
what those experiences mean for our social, ethical, and environmental
realities. Of note is the communal and empathic treatment of VR
applications in these discussions. Readers can expect critical reviews of
the VR experience for social justice, care ethics framework, and humanistic
values. These reviews are eye-opening and crucial for the development of VR
at a time when the virtual and the real are becoming insatiably
indistinguishable.

Prof. Jason Tham
Technical Communication and Rhetoric, Department of English
Texas Tech University