[ATTW-L] STEM Targeted Intro TW Courses?

Gregory Fields gregory.fields at cgc.edu
Sun Sep 25 13:18:27 UTC 2022

I teach a lot of learning communities that pair my writing course with
math, chemistry, business, and intro to computers, so it has the flavor you
are looking for, though officially the course is FYC not TW.

My YouTube channel linked below has some of my project introduction videos
or videos on writing techniques and writing systems that you might find
meaningful, and our RewritingChemistry.wordpress.com class blog describes
some of the assignments from that pairing and has student work (over 50k
bored since 2016), but I've got probably a half dozen others you might find
useful, some still under review as part of an article or that I will be
presenting on at CPTSC or have presented at NLCC and CWPA.

Some of the assignments listed below are easier because I teach the 8
Aspects of Writing model which is designed to be a systemic, holistic, and
more comprehensive approach to writing as a content area.

The short list:
- Writing technologies throughout Math History

-The Chemistry of Writing Technologies, (on the blog)

- Chem4Kids children's books commissioned with a service learning literacy
component

- Talking Cars - applies ambient rhetoric and PTC approaches to car
maintenance and communication analysis, paper with intro to computers so
students created maintenance documents while learning common Microsoft
Office technologies, discussed supply chain on microchips for cars and
writing technologies

- Compare/Contrast two social media platforms end user agreements, emphasis
on PII sharing

- Talking Heads - Script that puts famous scientists in conversation in a
fun way

- Chemist Fan Letters and Obituaries

- Household Rhetoric / My Chemical Adventure / Worst Case Scenario, analyze
the rhetoric of household products, some versions include chemical reaction
descriptions in a what if scenario based on storage of chemicals in the home

- Where Writing Finds Me, developing awareness of technical writing genres
in daily life

- Ethnography of a Writing Culture, sometimes this focuses on professional
workplace of students or personal online places, sometimes the writing
culture and practices of one of their other classes which is great for
developing awareness of major-specific writing norms.

I hope that helps.
Let me know if you want to discuss these at all, I have a fairly open
schedule for video chatting throughout the week since I teach hybrid and
asynchronous courses.

Gregg Fields, Ph. D. (Writing, Rhetorics, and Literacies)

CGCC Residential Faculty - FYC Lead
Composition, Creative Writing, and Literature Division
Office: IRN 261
gre2150069 at cgc.edu
Campus Telephone: 480-726-4165
Cell phone: 2526-U-WRITE / 252-689-7483
CHANNEL: youtube.com/c/GreggFieldsonWriting
Research & Publication updates at
https://www.linkedin.com/in/gregg-fields-on-writing

"There are so many kinds of languages in the world, and none of them is
without significance." (1 Cor. 14:10)