[ATTW-L] [EXT] Re: STEM Targeted Intro TW Courses?

Anne-Marie Womack amwomack at rice.edu
Mon Sep 26 16:55:49 UTC 2022

What a great thread! I joined the Engineering Communication team at Rice
last year, and I really appreciate all the resources.

One thing I'll add is that it's been useful for me to ask students directly
what they would like to learn and write in the course, and then to let that
influence our assignments. My students introduced me to a few genres I
wasn't even aware of.

I'm sure it would work differently if you're trying to collect info from
students at the programmatic level, but for my own classes I solicit input
in two main ways: On the first day of class, I break students up into
groups and they list what they want to learn to write. I also meet with
students individually in the early weeks of class to ask several questions,
one of them being: what do you want to learn in our class? (I've been
teaching small classes asynchronously, so that's how I've had the time for
multiple meetings.)

Good luck!

Sincerely,

Anne-Marie