[ATTW-L] #JOUR Kairos Issue 28.1 is here!

Kairos Communications Editor kairoscommed at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 17:47:29 UTC 2023

Kairos: A Journal of Rhetoric, Technology, and Pedagogy is pleased to
announce the publication of our Fall 2023 issue, featuring exciting new
developments and webtexts found here:

https://kairos.technorhetoric.net/28.1/loggingon/index.html

Among our new developments:

PraxisWiki is now the new home of the MMU Scholar Bibliography and MMU
Scholars List! These two resources were created by Cana Uluak Itchuaqiyaq
and recently updated by Itchuaqiyaq, Natasha N. Jones, and Jennifer
Sano-Franchini, who serve as the MMU Database Advisory Board. Both
resources have been useful for tech comm scholars seeking to read, cite,
and support research by MMU scholars in the field.

We have launched our Inventio in 5 series! Envisioned by section editors
Liz Chamberlain and Rich Shivener, this series presents 5-minute videos in
which recently published Kairos authors talk about their composition
processes. This issue’s series was produced in collaboration with Leah
Ciani and Chante Douglas, recent graduates from York University’s
Professional Writing program, and features Kairos authors Shantam Goyal,
Stacey Copeland, Richard Holeton, Nancy Small, and Stephen Paur.

We have also added several new items to Stasis, our long-running archive of
Computers and Writing resources! With this issue, we’ve added: a 2015
interview with Todd Taylor about CCC Online, an archive of the original
Hawisher and Selfe Caring for the Future award (now administered at
Kairos), and Greg Ulmer’s “Noonstar.”

And we are excited to share that Cheryl E. Ball and Doug Eyman’s Kairos
book project, “Publishing Digital Scholarship: A How-To Guide and Oral
History [of the Longest, Continuously Running Open-Access Scholarly
Multimedia Journal],” will be released on a biweekly basis, starting now!

This issue features two Disputatio webtexts. In “Making a Webtext with
ChatGPT,” Senior Editor Doug Eyman asks ChatGPT to design and create
content for a website that could help writing studies composers use OpenAI
to produce multimodal essays. Doug shares the prompts he used, ChatGPT’s
output, and reflects on the process. In “Leaving Academia: Hot Takes, Tips,
and Voices from Out There…”—an ongoing resource—Senior Editor Cheryl E.
Ball shares feedback from scholars in the field who left academia.

This issue also features a new Topoi webtext, Sara West’s “Student
Perceptions of Anonymous Applications,” which explores how four students
understand privacy and anonymity on Yik Yak and how scholars might approach
researching anonymous apps like Yik Yak.

This issue also features two PraxisWiki webtexts. In “The Multimodal
Advocacy Project: Centering Accessible Composing Choices,” Molly E. Ubbesen
describes how she centered disability and accessibility in designing and
teaching the Multimodal Advocacy Project. In “Re-envisioning the Abstract:
Visual Abstracts in Writing Studies,” Molly Ryan discusses developing a
visual abstract assignment in her FYW and research course.

Finally, we have two new book Reviews: Ashley M. Beardsley reviews Leigh
Gruwell’s Making Matters: Craft, Ethics, and New Materialist Rhetorics, and
Basanti Timalsina reviews Multimodal Composing: Strategies for
Twenty-First-Century Writing Consultations, edited by Lindsay A. Sabatino
and Brian Fallon.

Check out the full issue as your summer winds down!