[ATTW-L] CFP: Peitho Cluster Conversation Fall '23 - "Addressing The Barriers Between Us and that Future"

Coenen, Hillary hillary.coenen at msutexas.edu
Tue Jan 10 17:32:11 UTC 2023

Dear Colleagues,

We're excited to announce a CFP for a Peitho Cluster Conversation for the Fall '23 issue, "Addressing The Barriers Between Us and that Future: Feminist Activist Coalition Building in Writing Studies." Please read the attached CFP and you can see a preview below.

Proposals are due Feb 12, 2023 at AddressingtheBarriers at gmail.com<mailto:AddressingtheBarriers at gmail.com>.

This Cluster Conversation, Addressing The Barriers Between Us and that Future: (Feminist) Activist Coalition Building in Writing Studies, will share lived experiences of writing practitioners doing social justice work and examples of the tensions and obstacles they have experienced and/or the subversive tactics they have implemented in their writing spaces since states like Oklahoma, Texas and Florida (and the list of states are currently growing) have passed laws banning critical race theory, and scholarship and discussion on gender and identity in higher education. This conversation will serve as a resource for how we build and maintain authentic coalitions within/and outside academia, in all writing spaces. Audre Lorde reminds us that the feminist activist movement will be successful when, "We are anchored in our own place and time, looking out and beyond to the future we are creating, and we are part of communities that interact. While we fortify ourselves with visions of the future, we must arm ourselves with accurate perceptions of the barriers between us and that future" (57). Therefore, this Cluster Conversation with Peitho aims to benefit a broad range of practitioners and instructors in writing studies, but particularly those at the margins, as well as community and social justice activists.

For this Cluster, contributors are invited to submit 500-word proposals expressing how their piece will contribute to this conversation. The recommended article length is 2000-5000; the editors will also consider reflective shorter pieces, as well as multimodal work. We would also be happy to publish responses to the Summer '23 special issue, "Coalition as Commonplace: Centering Feminist Scholarship, Pedagogies, and Leadership Practices." All articles should conform to MLA style and all authors should adhere to reviewer guidelines<https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcfshrc.org%2Fabout-peitho%2F%23reviewer-guidelines&data=05%7C01%7Clewright%40jhu.edu%7Cf9b0ee90f4924497e84908dadd1d1628%7C9fa4f438b1e6473b803f86f8aedf0dec%7C0%7C0%7C638065415603601030%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=ivH340TxjpSdZM5anHUBBdBATkmYR4a6cx32m7kleZw%3D&reserved=0> for Peitho. We are especially interested in featuring contributions and work from BIPOC scholars, those at HBCUs, HSIs, MSIs, and two-year colleges, as well as graduate students. We are also interested in collaborative work, especially if such work is with undergraduate students. If you have questions or would like to brainstorm potential ideas, do not hesitate to contact one of the editors.

Please send 500-word proposals, plus a bibliography and a 150-word biography, to AddressingtheBarriers at gmail.com<mailto:AddressingtheBarriers at gmail.com> by February 12, 2023. If you have any questions or would like to brainstorm/chat with us about ideas, please do not hesitate to get in touch!

Sincerely,

Hillary Coenen, Anna Sicari, Natasha Tinsley, and Lisa Wright

Hillary Coenen, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of English | MSU Texas
Instructor of Women's and Gender Studies
Advisor | Sigma Tau Delta - Beta Xi
Pronouns: She/Her (What's this?<http://lightupthesky.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/LUTS_519_Infographic_NeutralPronouns.png>)
Midwestern State University | Bea Wood 203
940.397.4058 | hillary.coenen at msutexas.edu<mailto:hillary.coenen at msutexas.edu>

[cid:image001.png at 01D7D7B1.D0F1A6C0]<http://msutexas.edu/>

MIDWESTERN STATE UNIVERSITY
A Member of the Texas Tech University System