[ATTW-L] Sara Ahmed, the Feminist Killjoy, speaks with USU (Zoom) (X posted)

Avery Edenfield edenfield00 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 20:06:01 UTC 2023

 Hi everyone!  I wanted to share the news of an event that is free and open
to the public.

USU's Center for Intersectional Gender Studies and Research is sponsoring a
lecture by Sara Ahmed, one of the most renown feminist scholars alive
today. She will be speaking virtually from the UK on Feb. 22 at 10 a.m. Per
her request, the talk is open to the public and will not be recorded.

The abstract, her biography, and registration link are listed below. Please
share with anyone who may be interested.

*Feminist Killjoys at Work*
In this lecture I explore what we come to know about institutions from our
efforts to transform them. I will draw especially on two chapters “The
Feminist Killjoy as Philosopher” and “The Feminist Killjoy as Activist,”
from my forthcoming The Feminist Killjoy Handbook. To be a feminist killjoy
(or another kind of institutional killjoy) means not only confronting
institutional problems, but challenging how institutions use our efforts to
change them as evidence they have changed. The lecture explores how being
feminist killjoys at work means recognising that the figure of the feminist
killjoy can be appropriated and neutralised. Being feminist killjoys at
work also requires finding other institutional killjoys, because the more
we come up against, the more we need more.

*Biography*
Sara Ahmed is an independent feminist scholar whose work is concerned with
how power is experienced and challenged in everyday life and institutional
cultures. She recently completed *The Feminist Killjoy Handbook*, her first
trade publication, which is forthcoming in 2023 with Penguin Press in the
UK and Seal Press in the US. She is currently writing a follow up text, *A
Complainer's Handbook: A Guide to Building Less Hostile Institutions* and
has begun a new research project on common sense. Her previous books
include *Complaint!* (2021) *What's The Use? On the Uses of Use*
(2019), *Living
a Feminist Life* (2017), *Willful Subjects* (2014), *On Being Included:
Racism and Diversity in Institutional Life* (2012), *The Promise of
Happiness* (2010), *Queer Phenomenology: Objects, Orientations, Others*
 (2006), *The Cultural Politics of Emotion* (2014, 2004), *Strange
Encounters: Embodied Others in Post-Coloniality* (2000) and *Differences
that Matter: Feminist Theory and Postmodernism* (1998).

*Registration*
You are invited to a Zoom webinar.
When: Feb 22, 2023 10:00 AM Mountain Time (US and Canada)
Topic: Feminist Killjoys at Work

Register in advance for this webinar:
https://usu-edu.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_zIIsXtuvTsioQdGGQ7bttw

Or an H.323/SIP room system:
    H.323:
    162.255.37.11 (US West)
    162.255.36.11 (US East)
    115.114.131.7 (India Mumbai)
    115.114.115.7 (India Hyderabad)
    213.19.144.110 (Amsterdam Netherlands)
    213.244.140.110 (Germany)
    103.122.166.55 (Australia Sydney)
    103.122.167.55 (Australia Melbourne)
    149.137.40.110 (Singapore)
    64.211.144.160 (Brazil)
    149.137.68.253 (Mexico)
    69.174.57.160 (Canada Toronto)
    65.39.152.160 (Canada Vancouver)
    207.226.132.110 (Japan Tokyo)
    149.137.24.110 (Japan Osaka)
    Meeting ID: 811 9637 5360
    Passcode: 5275296
    SIP: 81196375360 at zoomcrc.com
    Passcode: 5275296

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing
information about joining the webinar.

Avery Edenfield, PhD
Associate Professor of English
Technical Communication & Rhetoric
Director of the Center for Intersectional Gender Studies and Research:
https://www.usu.edu/intersections/
Utah State University
[image: image.png]